Flower Button (Before and After)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went to a site that has been producing artifacts and coins over a 4 century time frame but mostly early 1800's. Last week my son in the area I hunted got a nice 1836 Large Cent and a not so nice Flying Eagle cent. This is the same area that two weeks ago I got a 1787 Connecticut State copper.

The downside to the site is that a large percentage of the copper/brass items found have a hard, cement like coating on them, which does not easily come of, if at all. Back in March I found two 1820's Naval buttons that were encrusted with the cement like crud and Peroxide only removed the dirt but did not touch the crud. So I literally picked off as much as I could with many toothpicks, and did not really enjoy that type of cleaning.

Well, on this hunt, I got a Pewter button, a Musketball and one of those encrusted buttons. Since I could see a design on the button, I knew I would have to try cleaning it to see how nice or ugly it was, also I could see on the rim, some hints of Gilt and that meant maybe a decent button was under that crud.

Last week, while straightening out a cabinet full of cleansers and stuff in the garage I found a bottle of Naval Jelly that I did not know I had, it must have been from my late Dad's stuff, which meant it was from the 1980's at the latest.

I decided to try the Naval Jelly on the button, since I know a lot of the relic hunters use it to clean their gold gilt buttons, but not anything else.

After the normal Peroxide cleaning, which did remove the dirt, but did not touch the cement-like crud. I started to brush on the Naval Jelly. I was surprised that the crud did seem to melt away into a gray slurry and underneath that gray crud, a lot of gilt was starting to appear. I continued on cleaning with several short applications of the Naval Jelly and I was pleasantly surprised on how well it did work on the gilted portions of the button.

I did noticed that on ungilted areas, the copper/brass, turned more reddish, like nickels do when cleaned with some methods or exposed to wet, acidic ground conditions. So, I do see why you have to be careful using the Naval Jelly and not leave it on too long and not to use in on items that are not gold gilt.

Overall, I was very pleased with the outcome, yes it has corrosion, which you cannot do anything about other than soak in distilled water and hope the corrosion stops. But one ugly button is now a lot nicer looking. I might go back now and try the Naval Jelly on those Naval buttons I spent hours picking with a toothpick to remove the crud, maybe they will improve with this treatment.

Don

Attachments

• May28thfinds.jpg
    May28thfinds.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 732
  • flowerbuttonbackmark.jpg
    flowerbuttonbackmark.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 722
  • FlowerButtonBeforeAfter.jpg
    FlowerButtonBeforeAfter.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 728
Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
That's an amazing transformation, Don!! :o

I had no idea naval jelly could be so effective on gold gilt.

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

R

RUDY2003

Great button! I wouldn't have thought to use naval jelly.....

Keep diggin'...

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I have learned something today. Nice job on the button. Makes me wonder how electrollis would do on a button like that, particularly if you used a mild charge like a nine volt battery.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work!  Yes, Naval Jelly and Aluminum Jelly work quite well.  It's always handy to have some around--even if you seldom have a chance to use it.  The stuff is not expensive at all.

Bravo on the button cleaning, Mr. Button-Crazy-Legs!

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it is nice to know 20 year old or more Naval Jelly did not lose its punch, wonder if fresh stuff works better. ;D
I think the risk was not knowing if my fingers would get derusted from touching it~ :tongue3:

Don

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have some jelly in my naval right now. I'm going to go clean some buttons. Thanks for the tip Don. Looks great. :thumbsup:

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Don,

Nice dig! You should probably clean that button up some more. There is still some significant crud in between the flower stems.

Even though it isn't worth anything, it is still a great addition to your collection! :thumbsup:

Kirk :icon_sunny:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don,
Your resto techniques are amazing. Great job on that button. Looks great!!! :icon_king: :thumbsup:
-MM-

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Great job on the button, I would have never thought it would clean up that well. :thumbsup: What a great addition to your evergrowing collection. Keep at that site, no matter how crusty they come out, you can bring the beauty back. :)

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don,
Very nice button. You are always finding the good stuff...keep em coming.
NJ

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don,

I knew I would see more posts from you before the fall!

Nice job on the button! I am going to have to try that method next time I find a button like that. (I just checked and the only jelly I have says "Welch's" on it.)

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Wow awesome job on the button. It came out really nice.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Wow!! I know people use it on iron relics but that is quite impressive!!! Do you think you need to do anything to neutralize the Naval Jelly afterwards? Soak it in distilled water maybe?? I just happen to find a jug of it while I was cleaning my pole barn... left over form a car project that has.. well... stopped dead in it's tracks... hmm... might have to try it on some test pieces!!!

Thanks for the posting...

MonkeyBoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread