Flowing hair cent, civil war button, 1909 IH, silver and more!

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted at an old home near baltimore this morning. I've been there a few times and they told me the house was built in the 1600s but I'm not sure how to validate that. Found the flowing hair large cent first and let it dry out while I continued. When I came back to look at it and dabbed a little spit I saw the edges were flaking. Should i put this in olive oil or toothpick? I'm afraid that it would be too fragile for a toothpick and I want to maximize the amount of detail I can see
Also found the indian merc and civil war button. The button was super fragile and was in pieces in the hole
Thanks for looking and let me know what you would do to clean this copper

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 4

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always put your coins in a case with moist dirt from the hole. They don't like being pulled from the environment that they've been in for hundreds of years. This will keep them from flaking until you get them home.
It's hard to tell without having the coin in my hand but I dislike the olive oil. If any oil it would be mineral oil. Much cleaner and more pure. Also not as dark. I usually hp my coppers at least enough to get the dirt off. As I said it's hard without holding it and really inspecting. But these are my thoughts

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always put your coins in a case with moist dirt from the hole. They don't like being pulled from the environment that they've been in for hundreds of years. This will keep them from flaking until you get them home.
It's hard to tell without having the coin in my hand but I dislike the olive oil. If any oil it would be mineral oil. Much cleaner and more pure. Also not as dark. I usually hp my coppers at least enough to get the dirt off. As I said it's hard without holding it and really inspecting. But these are my thoughts

Other than the one shown I found another this morning that I decided to experiment with. As soon as I pulled it, I place moist dirt all around it and that's how it laid till 20 minutes ago. Toothpick was poor choice and as a last ditch effort I rinsed it under the tap. I could see where I had used the toothpick and it was that exposed brown color. I could see that it was 185x coronet but it was super porous. No saving some of them

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Other than the one shown I found another this morning that I decided to experiment with. As soon as I pulled it, I place moist dirt all around it and that's how it laid till 20 minutes ago. Toothpick was poor choice and as a last ditch effort I rinsed it under the tap. I could see where I had used the toothpick and it was that exposed brown color. I could see that it was 185x coronet but it was super porous. No saving some of them

Yeah don't sweat it. Some are just destroyed and there's no sense trying to make it something it's never gonna be. Out if all my coppers I've got 3 or 4 nice ones. Just the way it works

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a good day!

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it's 1793?

I'm not sure yet. The more I look the more I get confused. It looks like there's a flag behind her head. With the flowing haor ones online the lady looks crazy but mine has the draped bust face with her hair blowing back and I guess a flag over her shoulder

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure yet. The more I look the more I get confused. It looks like there's a flag behind her head. With the flowing haor ones online the lady looks crazy but mine has the draped bust face with her hair blowing back and I guess a flag over her shoulder
You probably have a Liberty Cap cent there.

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some great saves! Sounds like you have a great property there. Gotta love the history we have here in Md!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread