Fluid bed sluice plan

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/B]

I have so many ideas that could make bazooka clones easy and fast to produce...

The cam type clamps pulling the trap up and into the sluice bottom is exactly what I was thinking. My thoughts are that the removable trap and tubes are one unit, and there is a vertical piece, at the end of the plenum sealing the end of the plenum. That piece would have three holes for the tubes in the trap to fit into. This would also serve to locate the trap properly against the body of the sluice. basically, the back wall of the trap fits against the front wall of the plenum, with the tubes passing through them both. Then, an O-ring around each of the tubes between the back trap wall and the front plenum wall to seal it, should do the trick.

For prototyping, the cam type clamp on many tool boxes would do the trick, I think something along the lines of what Jeep uses to hold the hood down on Wranglers would be ideal. Even some strong springs could be used if done right.

Crap, I see a trip to TAP plastics in my future....

Yep, I think something like this would work.
Tubes and everything, in the removable trap.
The back wall I think is the only real seal to worry about.
Maybe some overlapping in areas with no o-ring type sealing.
And I agree, doing it would be for only personal use/satisfaction....but sweet once done!!

removable trap.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a couple diy's with removable traps and I like the concept. Would be easy then to build the low pressure trap separately and just clamp it on.
I also like Mofugly13's idea of only needing to seal where the tubes enter the scoop, and o-rings seem like a great solution for a tight seal.

Hey G-bone you are getting pretty good with your 3-d drawing.:icon_thumleft:
What program do you use?

It's funny I never draw anything out before I build it because I see it in my head and build accordingly.
But then without a drawing or plans on paper I have a hard time showing or explaining to others how to do what I did.

GG~

Last edited:

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you GG! :notworthy:
You are a master craftsman for sure and I have enjoyed and learned from posts of all your great builds.

I am very fortunate and greatful to have the ability to visualize something and transpose to paper what I see.
And then fabricate as well.
I use Solidworks and have been for so long now, I can actually "sketch" as I would on paper, in 3D modeling.
And it is so true that a picture says 1000s and when brainstorming with overseas engineers and dealing with language barriers , quick sketches like these are very helpful and saves SO much time.

Anyway...

I agree the Orings at tube/back wall junction AND being the only seal point for the trap, make sense and very simple too.
The tubes ends can also act as alignment posts when reinserting the trap to the body, while under water.
Click, click and done. I like it!

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You guys keep changing up the plan! How's a dog supposed to fabricate?!

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only issue I see with the removeable trap is that if you're setup in swift water, you're going to scour/blow out your trap trying to lift it out of the flow. Part of lifting the box is to eliminate the water blowing across the top deck / laminar flow, and then shut off the pipes below. I think you're over complicating it imo. The bazooka is easily the quickest sluice to setup and cleanout and then stuff back into the river. You just pull it up then dump the nose into your bucket, a few shakes and you're done. Then wedge it back into the crack you pulled it from.

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only issue I see with the removeable trap is that if you're setup in swift water, you're going to scour/blow out your trap trying to lift it out of the flow. Part of lifting the box is to eliminate the water blowing across the top deck / laminar flow, and then shut off the pipes below. I think you're over complicating it imo. The bazooka is easily the quickest sluice to setup and cleanout and then stuff back into the river. You just pull it up then dump the nose into your bucket, a few shakes and you're done. Then wedge it back into the crack you pulled it from.

In the case of being set up in fast flow, you could always empty it by lifting the whole sluice. In other areas, like where you would set up on a cascade or such where the front of the sluice isn't under swift running water, the removable trap would be the ticket, I think. The beauty of the design gbone posted is that it could be used both ways.

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Goldfleks has it nailed - gotta love how you say it like it is! Refreshing...

Any sluice out there requires you to 'shut' off the water to the sluice before you do a clean-out. It would only take a second of catching a pulse of water while lifting it out from under the end material transport deck to flush out some cons from the chamber - not worth it. After a sluice is set up the first time, its pretty easy to put it back into the water, make a few adjustments, and start running material again. Typical time to pull, cleanout, and reset is only a couple minutes max.

I also see some engineering issues with posted design (BTW G-bone - nice CAD images). The single connection point on the sides are stress points that will likely fail in the 1/8" walls. The connect point is also a pivot point - when you pick up the sluice (in fast water), the weight of chamber will be pulling against that pivot point, stressing it each time. It will not cause it to fail the first time or even the 50th time, but it will loosen up and eventually fail. And then you have the seal issue, which after a few hundred dunkings in the water, and typical abrasion, will start to peal off. Then people will be wanting the manufacturer to fix it at no charge. There are several elements of the Bazooka sluice design that can be improved upon, but from a manufacturer's standpoint, it requires fluid dynamic engineering, controlled environment testing, and field testing to solve the puzzle of developing a better fluid bed sluice.
Removable trap - at first glance, I like the concept, but from a functional, efficiency, and durability standpoint, but not a likely feature from my perspective.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely hard to beat the original design from a production standpoint. :icon_thumright:
But a one off for your own use or as a tinkering project, different story.

GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bazooka is easily the quickest sluice to setup and cleanout and then stuff back into the river. You just pull it up then dump the nose into your bucket, a few shakes and you're done. Then wedge it back into the crack you pulled it from.

Just slide your bucket onto the trap with one hand and pivot the sluice up into your bucket with the other hand so there is no need to lift the sluice completely out of the water. (learned that one from Kevin in Colorado)

That may be what you are saying but I wanted to make it clear for others that may be doing it the hard way like I used to. :tongue3:

GG~

Last edited:

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a list of simple improvements Zooka users think the old box needs to bring it into 2017.

My List:

36" Standard Size length (maybe even 48") Aids in pressurizing the fluid bed, and adds an extra 12" of length to stratify dry material.

V-Mat small "On The Gold" test strip. It's not needed but I've seen enough prospectors add a patch of a mat to help keep an eye on if you're on the gold. Maybe a 4" x Width Patch at the end of the slick plate right by the grizzly just to see if you're catching fines. And Still easily dunkable in the bucket to not effect cleanout speeds.

Nugget Trap of some kind on the top deck. Not sure if this is doable. But some way to create a "safeguard" for big heavies that are larger than the 1/2" grizzly. On slow flow this really isn't an issue, a solid nugget in low flow will probably just sit on the top deck. But if you're sluicing in high flow, it would be nice to create a catch of some kind that would safeguard any big gold if you're lucky enough to dig one out.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My list.........
Because of the Bazookas shortcomings in low flow situations.

(1.) Make it easy to convert to a highbanker.
(2.) Produce and sell the highbanker kit.

GG~

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea, what happened to the highbanker ?

A lot could be changed. But mostly not needed. Maybe removable plugs for the tubes.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea, what happened to the highbanker ?

A lot could be changed. But mostly not needed. Maybe removable plugs for the tubes.

Todd gave up on making a production high banker setup. Several of us plumbed our own: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488601662.238207.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1488601706.889624.jpg
It works but manual grizzly clearing is needed since it has to run quite flat.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL,all very good points guys.
I too believe that the KISS method is truely the best.
And the bazooka has nailed it there.

But I do indeed tend to over think things, especially after a martini or two :occasion14:
And I do really enjoy bouncing ideas around with fellow tinkerers here on Tnet.
Keep throwing enough sh@& on the wall, and something is bound to stick.

Cheers all

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V grooves milled in the deck. just a few rows.

Longer trap = more/settling landing zone for fines and more holes in the needed longer tubes means more fluidization.

Any piece of gold bigger than 1/2 is not going over the grizz....even if you do stand there for five minutes with your jaw on the floor.
It won't even make it to the grizzly.

A removable trap is going to blow out and get wonky in almost any in stream situation. It will actually take more time to pull and reset than just pulling the whole box and doing the bucket shaka - shaka

Last edited:

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My list.........
Because of the Bazookas shortcomings in low flow situations.

(1.) Make it easy to convert to a highbanker.
(2.) Produce and sell the highbanker kit.

GG~

speaking of fluid bed highbankers....didn't you build one GG? How well does it work? Basic design?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread