Fly Fishing Lands Some Silver

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day last week, I loaded my fishing gear and found a spot I could wade in a lake and do a little fly fishing. After landing a few small bass and wallowing in weeds and muck, I started to notice the lake get very solid with a thin layer of gravel. So I thought maybe this would have made a good swimming area. So today I returned with the excal to see if people swam there. Targets, targets on top of targets. It's a large area, this is gonna take some time, maybe months. These are the kinda spots I like. Lots of melted chunks of lead, pot metal, cinder, shot gun primers, tabs, and coins. What's nice is, there's a clay bottom 2-4 inches down, and thats where everything stops. Here's the goods and bads. 100_1055 (800x600).jpg 100_1056 (800x600).jpg 100_1057 (800x600).jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the nice finds, looks like you may have stumbled upon virgin territory. Good Luck!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Kevin. Seems like you stumbled onto a sweet site. Congrats on those silvers. :occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool coins!! Congratulations!!:occasion14:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honey hole! Your going to find some really good stuff there.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Silver! you will have to go back and clean that place up, bet you'll find some nice treasure there.
In the day a Silver quarter was real money to lose.
I thought most all the lost silver coins where recovered back around the late 70's when I started metal detecting.
I think it was 1969 when an old timer cleaned out the local city park I hung out after school.
That's all he dug was silver coins, is what he showed me; I was impressed and that Planted the bug.
My thoughts are today, if it was popular in the day before air conditioning it is a hotspot that needs to be cleaned out.
I know this spot that is loaded up with left over iron targets and bottle caps. Reported a big ring is there a can't be found.
My buddy wants to go out and dig bottle caps like we dug shot gun shells at another site, We tallied up a figure of 100 targets dug to one ring.

OP
OP
Kevin in IN

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Silver! you will have to go back and clean that place up, bet you'll find some nice treasure there.
In the day a Silver quarter was real money to lose.
I thought most all the lost silver coins where recovered back around the late 70's when I started metal detecting.
I think it was 1969 when an old timer cleaned out the local city park I hung out after school.
That's all he dug was silver coins, is what he showed me; I was impressed and that Planted the bug.
My thoughts are today, if it was popular in the day before air conditioning it is a hotspot that needs to be cleaned out.
I know this spot that is loaded up with left over iron targets and bottle caps. Reported a big ring is there a can't be found.
My buddy wants to go out and dig bottle caps like we dug shot gun shells at another site, We tallied up a figure of 100 targets dug to one ring.
These trashy spots can hide some nice finds. A person just has to take a little at a time or you really burn yourself out digging junk. I went back and cleaned a little more and was rewarded with no more than a few modern coins. I'll keep picking at it and maybe it will pay again. HH Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread