Fly Fishing...

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just thought I'd pass along a great lead for anybody on TNET that uses a fly rod...

Check with your local Orvis retail outlet!

They recently finished a GREAT promotion where you get $25 dollars off ANY in-store purchase of $50 or more! You get two of these coupons per flyer, and I got 2 flyers. My wife and I each made 2 purchases, over two days at the Orvis outlet in Austin.

I tie my own flies, but even then I always manage to build a "need to tie" list that quickly becomes an overbearing task... And I don't like to find out that I'm short a pattern when I'm standing waist deep in a river... So occasionally I will stock up on patterns hand tied by a quality third party. The Orvis stores carry these flies, usually stocked on arrangement with a local tyer.

I managed to fill these 4 large / 1 medium sized CF Design boxes with just what I purchased using this promotional offer to "stock up"... 250 bucks worth for around 100 dollars!

If you familiar with fly fishing at all, you'll understand this is a HUGE deal!

Attachments

• image-2500888848.png
    image-2500888848.png
    3 MB · Views: 72
  • image-1937650204.png
    image-1937650204.png
    3 MB · Views: 69

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a rod and two old j.c. higgins reels. Went over to the Guadalupe below Canyon Dam, had fly fished before, tried very hard and never got a bite. But I sure had a lot of fun watching others catch fish...

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a rod and two old j.c. higgins reels. Went over to the Guadalupe below Canyon Dam, had fly fished before, tried very hard and never got a bite. But I sure had a lot of fun watching others catch fish...

Haha yea, I used to guide down there.

I'm going to assume your referring to trout!

The secret is to stay away from right below the Canyon Dam output. Fishing the Guadalupe productively for quality trout demands you go further downstream a good ways. WAY less pressure and traffic, and way BETTER fishing and atmosphere in general!

Go to Gruene River Outfitters and get yourself the Guadalupe Trout map.

It is a great map, and will put you onto the best spots (by mile marker/river crossing #'s )... As well as show you all the best parking areas and free river access points.

Better yet, just join GRTU! That will get you VIP access to private river runs in the trophy zone!

Once you find these spots, you'll meet professionals and experts, and your bound to catch some great fish.

GRTU is the largest chapter or Trout Unlimited, and the Guadalupe is very special as it is the furthest-south naturally sustaining trout fishery in North America.

This is the time of year to go! Maybe I'll see you in the riffles!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was going to try fly fishing once but I couldnt find any hooks small enough for the flys:laughing7:Just joking guys.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread