Flying to Phoenix, looking to prospect

camocreek

Mar 20, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all, just looking to get a few opinions here on what to do. I'm going to be in the Phoenix area in a few weeks and would like to take a day to do some prospecting as I've never been to AZ and want to check it out just to scratch it off my list of places I've prospected.
Since I'm flying down I'll have to pack light, just curious what would be the best option, bring a metal detector or a gold pan and a few essential tools.
I'm a GPAA member so I'd most likely hit the nearest GPAA claim for the day. Not looking to hit it big or anything, just want to experience prospecting in AZ.
Any opinions or tips would be great, thanks!

Upvote 0

Daugela

Jul 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
White MTX, VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Phoenix. You'd be hard pressed finding any claims around the metropolitan area for prospecting. Expect to drive a little. Considering you're most likely a but pressed for time, look into the Wickenburg area. It's about a 45 minute drive NW of Phoenix and has alot of history. I'm sure there's a GPAA claim around there. The Vulture Mine is in Wickenburg which produced a ton of gold. Google it. I think you should take your detector and hit the tailings of all the abandoned mines in the general WIckenburg area.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
camocreek - you might also consider browsing Sub-Forums: Arizona for additional information...

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider going to Prescott and panning in Lynx Creek Withdrawl area. If not that , I believe there are GPAA claims north of Phoenix near Black Canyon City, and some a little more north near Mayer, AZ. Probably stick to panning & crevice tools. Some areas may be dry however ,and a detector may be needed too....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are also GPAA claims out at Rich Hill, near Congress, AZ, (25-minutes northwest of Wickenburg) which is about one-hour-and-forty five minutes from Sky Harbor airport. Shovel, gold pan, bucket and classifyer - you're set!

OP
OP
camocreek

camocreek

Mar 20, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replies! I'll have a rental so I'm up for driving wherever, Wickenburg sounds like an interesting area. What do you all do for water around there for panning, is there any or do you have to bring in your own?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We bring our own!

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dry wash...Wickenburg is still hot...do you love 100 + degree weather?
spend the time to go up to Prescott...gpaa has claims up in that area...also there is water in some creeks.
one can go just a few miles past the northern edge of phoenix to find gold bearing sands...or hardrock.

just north of lake pleasant, seven springs area also had placer and hard rock...

good luck...have fun...drink lots of water...

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh hell, just sneak a geology hammer in a backpack, head out past Apache Junction, take a big canteen, turn where the Superstition Mtn. sign is, go down that road till you get to the dirt parking lot, walk up to the rangers by the sign, tell em you're going hiking and then go look for the LDM. Go to Weaver's Needle(don't climb it), look north and find a canyon to go look in. That way you can say you hunted the mine and tell all your buddies back home how close you got to it. Gonna find some old small washes and there are pieces of quartz in them. Pick a few up to show back home and use the hammer IF you accidently, by some miracle, find a quartz vein in the canyons or on the ground. JUST HAVE FUN...

OP
OP
camocreek

camocreek

Mar 20, 2012
MN
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great suggestions, I'm excited to get down there and check some of this stuff out. I'm from MN so it's going to be a climate change for sure.

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Just spent three months prospecting at Rose Creek in Prescott. It's a stone's throw from Lynx Creek on Stoneridge Road. From the road all the way to Faine Park is open to recreational panning. You'll be within walking distance of anything you need. There's even a prospecting supply store just down the road. You can catch a shuttle bus from the airport to Prescott for about $30 bucks. Check out the feeder creeks running into Rose Creek from the direction of the highway. I was getting about $40 dollars worth of gold a day outta two five gallon buckets of dirt taken off bedrock. But i only worked around four hours a day. Buy yourself a small whisk broom and dust pan. The weekend gorilla miners (tourists), do a terrible job of cleaning their holes. Just go in on Monday after they've left and you'll literally "Clean-Up". Say hello to Bob and the rest of the ole timers up there for me. They're a great bunch of guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread