Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pardon me if this subject has been beaten to death, but I am new here and my search-fu is weak. I beg forgiveness, my masters! :notworthy:

Anyway, The Missus and I will be taking regular Florida vacations now, and I have been thinking that I want to fill up some of that time doing some beach detecting. The question that I have is, what is generally considered the best way to fly with a detector? Should I have a hard case and check it? Carry it on? I really do not wish to carry it on. What do you guys think? Do any of you have experience in this? Please advise? Thanks!

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF THEY MAKE A HARDCASE FOR IT - GET ONE AND CHECK IT IF YOU DONT WANT TO CARRY IT
HAVE NOT HEARD ANY HORROR STORIES LATELY - BUT YRS AGO - HEARD OF A FEW BEING STOLEN - BUT THAT WAS WHEN THEY DIDNT HAVE AS MANY CAMERAS IN THE AIRPORT BAGAGE AREAS - HAVE HEARD OF A FEW BROKEN - BUT THAT WAS PROBABLY MORE FROM BAD PACKING
A FEW GUYS INCLUDING MYSELF HAVE HAD BAGAGE LOST - I MISSED A DAY AND A HALF OF HUNTING CAUSE THEY LOST MINE EQUIPMENT SUIT CASE
ON WAY TO FLA. - IT HAD MY UPPER ROD - SCOOP - MASK/SNORKEL
NOW I CARRY ON 2 CZ21s - WITH A SPARE MASK - DIVE BOOTS AND A FEW OTHER ITEMS - NEVER HAVE A PROB
I USE A BASEBALL PLAYERS BAG - PACK A FEW TOWELS AROUND THE BOXES - RODS FIT IN AREA MADE FOR BATS
AREA FOR CLEETS - I PUT DIVE BOOTS AND AREA FOR GLOVE I PUT MASK AND SNORKEL
I USED TO USE A FISHER HARD CASE BUT ONE AIRLINE BUSTED BALLS ONCE THAT IT WAS TO LONG
IVE USED GUN HARD CASES BEFORE WITH FOAM
AND HAD A TRIPLE SHOTGUN CARRIER ONCE TO CHECK 3 MACHINES ON - THAT ENDED WHEN A TSA AGENT CHANGED MY COMBINATION LOCK
AND I HAD TO BREAK INTO IT

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently took my AT Pro to FL on a flight. I disassembled it and wrapped the brains in a couple t-shirts taped in place. I then tried to pad it all in the suitcase with clothes, shoes, etc... Try to keep it away from the outer edges of the suitcase too. So it is cushioned as much as possible. Mine made ot both ways without problems.

A hard case would be better though!

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking that if I could get the right sized Pelican case, and do the cutout foam thing, that I might just have a winner. What would be the smallest length dimension of a fully-collapsed Garret AT Pro? I'm asking this in case anyone knows. I'm also taking this on faith that if I get Sand Shark it will collapse down enough to buddy up with an AT in the same case, along with my digging tools and stuff.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just put mine in a hard shell suitcase with lots of clothes around it as padding. Been to many places that way with no problem....although the last time they broke the latch on the suitcase.....gotta remember to fix that!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just pack mine into clothes in a suitcase as well. Heading out in a week as a matter of fact. Never had any problems so far.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually bought a 45 liter internal frame backpack that is big enough to carry my detector, digging equipment, pinpointer, etc.

It's small enough to fit in an overhead compartment, and since its a regular backpack I can wear it and look like a hiker when I don't want people wondering why I'm going into the woods with a metal detector.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Break it down. Put the coil and electronics in your carryon, the rods and scoop in a checked suitcase. That way should,the suitcase get lost you are only out the cheap parts of your detector. TSA won't give you any grief over the carryon, they see lots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread