bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

This should give you folks something to amuse yourselves with.....did 35 years in transportation marketing....juggling lots of facts and figures and trying to sift through everything to make an educated decision.

Some of my colleagues would work up tons of graphs, spreadsheets and get themselves more confused than anything else.....the old.... can't see the forest for the trees scenario.

Me on the other hand I'd start at the beginning....digest the info and then jump to a decision/conclusion and then backtrack and fill in the info required to prove my case....sometimes at the end....I'd have tweak the data somewhat....but 9 times out of 10 this approach did the trick...

Still don't how/why I can do that but it used to confuse the h*ll out of my colleagues and bosses....lol.

How do you folks handle decision making....we all have grapple with decision making in some way, shape or form....as part of our daily lives or careers....what say you???

Regards + HH

Bill

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figure out what you want . Research what's available that fits your needs . Look for reviews on items that may fit your needs and make your final decission .

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
It seems the best/right decision is always the hardest.For me.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Approach it as you would a game of chess.For every move there is an answering move.See all of them.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill,

I've always been a big fan of numbering the options 1-20 and then throwing darts at a dart board. Usually works out just fine! Of course, there have been the rare and unfortunate disasters...

Crisp

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"DECISION MAKING" is a BIGGIE; interesting "thread"; limit MY options to just three... YES! NO! MAYBE!

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

OK interesting points so far....I'll give you a real life situation from my working days...goes back 15 years or so....therefore no issues of confidentiality anymore....and I'll just give the overview details and not the nitty gritty stuff....

We had a potential client that we served in an industrial park with a private siding, etc..(railway btw).

This potential customer was recycling lead from spent car batteries and reclaiming the lead and melting down into ingots....
He tossed out a dollar number that he could live with based on the selling price he could get for the ingots from his buyer....

If memory serves me correctly the destination carrier was the CSX which serves the US eastern seaboard....so we had to share the revenues two ways.....we had a pretty elaborate costing system and no matter how I crunched the numbers
the economies just didn't work.....

Told the customer I'd sleep on it and try to come up with a solution......you have to remember our costing system involved about 30 or so components, equipment ownership, replacement costs and on and on ad nauseam...

As it turns out another nearby customer who operated a reload/transhipping/warehouse operation had about 50 cars per week of scrap paper coming in from the CSX....I had a eureka moment.....we just switch their empty cars over to the new customer.....zero ownership costs....no empty return miles involved, etc....

Turned into about 200 loads per month and $1,000,000 per year for us and likewise for the CSX.....the customer is happy and we all win in the end....

So now that I don't have these mental challenges anymore the folks on the forums have to handle my twisted logic....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, sounds like you just need something to do! :laughing7:
Decision making....... uhhhhh........
The cat usually just jumps in with all four paws and then it's sink or swim.
I remember (partially, haven't had my coffee yet), one prez said, "More money has been wasted by indecision, than if the person had gone ahead and made the wrong decision".

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cat,

I have a very inquisitive mind....probably why I love cats.... present company included btw....if I don't have a mental challenge I tend to get bored....or at the very least I start acting crazy which I tend to do with great regularity....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ANOTHER saying is; FAIL TO PLAN; PLAN TO FAIL. AND! WIN-WIN situations are THE BEST; YOU "recycled", as an Entrepreneur would. As long as YOU were NOT breaking any Canadian/American LAWS... SO BE IT!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cat,

I have a very inquisitive mind....probably why I love cats.... present company included btw....if I don't have a mental challenge I tend to get bored....or at the very least I start acting crazy which I tend to do with great regularity....lol.
Ditto.

Rebel I'm with you, I always try to promote win/win.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
cat,

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill,

I think we could debate the word "acting" in this specific context.

Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Go Ahead...

Lol, sorry Reb, I'm kinda spent from earlier interactions. I'm only going to engage in friendly debates for a while. Bill has a tendancy to take my head off and hurt my feelings. I don't have the heart for anymore of that tonight.

Besides, give it some time and I'm sure PackerBacker will suck me back in again. ;)

Crispin

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

LOL...the acting reference is meant in a histrionic fashion......at this point watching the interplay between Jeff and bbcamay on another thread.....I'm laughing so hard I couldn't debate my way out of a wet paper bag with friend or foe.....lol.

Take care my friend/brother in arms!

Regards + HH

Bill

Bill,

I think we could debate the word "acting" in this specific context.

Crispin

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rebel,

Another thing that works when all else fails which was taught to me by a brilliant MBA coworker many years ago.....actually it's a bit of an oxymoron....because MBA stands for Management By Accident so it doesn't really fit in the same sentence with
brilliant....but this guy was the exception....lol.

He told when all else fails use the 3B formula???? when I asked him what that was he said:-

bullshit baffles brains......lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

ANOTHER saying is; FAIL TO PLAN; PLAN TO FAIL. AND! WIN-WIN situations are THE BEST; YOU "recycled", as an Entrepreneur would. As long as YOU were NOT breaking any Canadian/American LAWS... SO BE IT!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks,

How do you folks handle decision making....we all have grapple with decision making in some way, shape or form....as part of our daily lives or careers....what say you???

I just took a quick look at this topic and will reply in full tomorrow.

But for now I leave you with the best decision making tool ever :headbang:

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread