Folks, Managed an FBI lapel pin detecting along the canal....

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• DSC00954 (583x640).jpg
    DSC00954 (583x640).jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00956.JPG
    DSC00956.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 14

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find! Is there any way to determine if it's current? I suspect that if it is, they might want that back. ;)

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well there's a telephone number on the back but it's a 204 code....ain't no way I'm spending my money to send a lapel pin to the feds...lol.

In any event no employee or badge number on it so can't return it to the rightful owner anyway just a generic pin but still a neat find.

Regards + HH

Bill

JJ1965

Jul 27, 2016
Blythewood, SC
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most law enforcement agencies have lapel pins that are traded freely among agencies, kind of like patches. I doubt if its loss means anything to anyone, and an agent can probably get more anytime he/she wants. When I was in law enforcement, I traded pins with many local, state and federal officers and agents. It is a great find, and will be a cool display. Congrats!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most law enforcement agencies have lapel pins that are traded freely among agencies, kind of like patches. I doubt if its loss means anything to anyone, and an agent can probably get more anytime he/she wants. When I was in law enforcement, I traded pins with many local, state and federal officers and agents. It is a great find, and will be a cool display. Congrats!

I was just wondering about how the FBI would feel about a current pin? Maybe it could be used wrongly? :icon_scratch:
And Bill? Don't fret about calling them and using your own money. If they want it, you'll get a knock on your door. :tongue3:

JJ1965

Jul 27, 2016
Blythewood, SC
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was just wondering about how the FBI would feel about a current pin? Maybe it could be used wrongly? :icon_scratch:
And Bill? Don't fret about calling them and using your own money. If they want it, you'll get a knock on your door. :tongue3:
$12.99 on ebay right now...

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info!! I'll get right on THAT bid!!! :tongue3::occasion14:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find!

Very legal to own, even current to date ones as well. I trade and collect such pins and have 7 Day POTUS Sets since Bush Jr. Can even tell you which pin is currently worn on which day during the current administration under the current detail.

Moving on.

204 is the Serial Number. 500 of these pins where made and issued out in DC During the Reagan Inauguration. That is if the 204 is toward the bottom of the badge. Value in such shape is between 30-40 bucks.

Now if there is writing just above the 204 and just under the pin it self then that year pin would be worth about 200-220 bucks as they only made 10 of those and they are never picked in serial number order for this inscription.

Would you be willing to show the back of the pin. I do not wish to make you an offer, I just have only ever seen the back on one Reagan ever before.

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oddjobs,

The first 3 digits are actually 202 in any event here's a closeup of the back.

Regards + HH

Bill

Attachments

• DSC00958 (422x410).jpg
    DSC00958 (422x410).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 84

JJ1965

Jul 27, 2016
Blythewood, SC
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fbi Recreation Assn. 935 Pennsylvania Ave Nw # 8704, Washington, District of Columbia 20535 (202) 324-3414

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oddjobs,

The first 3 digits are actually 202 in any event here's a closeup of the back.

Regards + HH

Bill

Never mind, standard issue for the 80's.

Not sure what the value would be on it.

Also I must say that I have never seen one that does not have a smooth rear surface.

These are the more mass produced ones that are styled after the one chosen for each inauguration and then issued out to all offices.

Sorry about the mix up, I guess I did not read your post properly, I just figured that 204 was the only number on the back and since each time they only make 500 of these I assumed yours was 204.

But you sure would not hear be complain about such a great find. I love agency pins.

Nice find man, hope you find others too.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I was in the Army CID and doing protective service missions, it was common to trade these between agents of different departments. That has since changed to coins.

CID.jpg

Congrats on all your finds!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Back when I was in the Army CID and doing protective service missions, it was common to trade these between agents of different departments. That has since changed to coins.

View attachment 1351538

Congrats on all your finds!

Nice one man. I have two friends who are still on Close Protection with CID out of DC. Never got my hands on a CID one but got several from OSI and two from NCIS.

But I have never done any work with them since being out and while in I only had dealings with them once when an Operator of mine thought it would be a bright idea to bring back something he should have left down range. As soon as I found out we detained him and called the AOD who was very happy to come by, and even gave me some cash, said it was funds they used for Registered Sources. We had a cook out with the money and invited him over to it but he said that from his experience most SF units did not like his kind, and just in case he would decline but thanked us anyway.

During the cook out one of my guys said man we should go find more drugs so we can get another 700 bucks for another cook out. LOL Him and one other Reclassed when they re-enlisted to go CID and those are the two doing CP.

But never got a coin from them or a pin. Did not even know you poorly funded under resourced CID types had coins and pins. LOL

OP
OP
bill from lachine

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JJ1965,

Thanks for narrowing down the id...much appreciated.

Regards + HH

Bill

Fbi Recreation Assn. 935 Pennsylvania Ave Nw # 8704, Washington, District of Columbia 20535 (202) 324-3414

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
And I thought FBI stood for Female Body Inspector.

Guess I am a wee bit off.

Congrats on a unique find!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one man. I have two friends who are still on Close Protection with CID out of DC. Never got my hands on a CID one but got several from OSI and two from NCIS.

But I have never done any work with them since being out and while in I only had dealings with them once when an Operator of mine thought it would be a bright idea to bring back something he should have left down range. As soon as I found out we detained him and called the AOD who was very happy to come by, and even gave me some cash, said it was funds they used for Registered Sources. We had a cook out with the money and invited him over to it but he said that from his experience most SF units did not like his kind, and just in case he would decline but thanked us anyway.

During the cook out one of my guys said man we should go find more drugs so we can get another 700 bucks for another cook out. LOL Him and one other Reclassed when they re-enlisted to go CID and those are the two doing CP.

But never got a coin from them or a pin. Did not even know you poorly funded under resourced CID types had coins and pins. LOL

Oh, they spend a good bit of money these days on coins. It's become standard practice for a lot of units. Here is the latest from CID Protection Services.

CID coin 1.jpg CID coin 2.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dropped whilst dumping a body??? hmmmmm

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
dropped whilst dumping a body??? hmmmmm

Maybe, by someone in MPI because steeling a CID coin was as close as they would ever come to having a badge. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread