Follow up post on Church Attic Sale

Deadaman

Jul 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Thank you to all who responded previously on how to test an unmarked chain, sadly it was gone when I showed up. However, I had found some other interesting necklaces, bracelets, and pins!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564162286.544151.jpg

First up is the silver: 2 Jewish Cross chains both marked Jerusalem, the smaller one sadly however doesn’t have a silver chain but the cross is.

Right next to them are some more finer chains, each 975 silver. The cross however I am unsure of, as it does have a weak magnetic to it which I’m assuming is the facets of the purple gems.

All three braclets are within the 925/75 range, one of which was so rubbed out you could barely see the STER on it.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1564162550.556945.jpg

Up next are the gold chains and pins.

6 pins in total, of which only one (Omega Kappa Omega) is unmarked but has no magnetic ability so I’ll have tot eat it further, while the triangle weigh a good 4.1 grams.

(For those who want to know the purity of each, in order skipping OKO, proceeds as follows; 10k, 10k, 10k, 10k, and finally - 14k)

Now onto the two chains

The one without the pendant is a 1/20 12k gold filled, and weighs 16.3 g, calculated to about 0.4 g of actual gold content.

The one with the pendent however may just be the best find of the bunch. Weighing in at 11.6 g (minus the pendant), it is a 14k gold chain with no other markings indicating that it’s not plated! That’s an estimated $308.75 value!

I spent 16.00 to get the whole batch, and (hopefully) have walked away with ~$700.79! I highly doubt this however as 1. I don’t know if the pins are only plated, 2. If the gold chains are in fact 100% real, and 3. This is my first time actually garage sale hunting, so my experience is low. It doesn’t bother me too much tho because the silver alone payed for the costs.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great finds! Be careful of the magnet method. Just because something isn’t magnetic doesn’t necessarily mean it gold. A lot of costume jewelry is not magnetic. As far as the chains go, anything modern will more than likely be marked. Same for the pins. In my experience the only real stuff (gold) that’s not marked that I generally come across are antique pieces pre 1900. Generally Victorian period or older. The magnet test is great but you’ll need to invest in an acid testing kit. It sounds like you’re on you way to some great finds in your future.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Jerusalem cross is awesome. I don’t think you’ll have any issues w that 14k chain. I would have bought based just on the photo. Are those little frat/society pins marked?

OP
OP
D

Deadaman

Jul 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Jerusalem cross is awesome. I don’t think you’ll have any issues w that 14k chain. I would have bought based just on the photo. Are those little frat/society pins marked?

Yes, each one is marked, the original post states each ones markings. I have found out too that the OKO pin is plated, just unsure of what purity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread