Followup: 8.2 pound gold nugget sells for $460,000 at auction

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beauty. It was on the local news last night. They said he found it at a depth of 10 feet. Wonder what he was digging for or how long it took him to get out of that hole.

OP
OP
mr_larry

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
calisdad said:
What a beauty. It was on the local news last night. They said he found it at a depth of 10 feet. Wonder what he was digging for or how long it took him to get out of that hole.

I heard he found it just a few inches under the dirt, but who knows...

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK someone help me out? Ok, the man finds the 8.2 pound nugget, and also finds 4 and 10 oz nuggets.

"The seller was so inspired by the sale of the nugget sale that he asked Kagin afterward to sell the land where the nugget was found. It consists of 180 acres about 20 miles east of Nevada City, and assayers have already guessed there are at least 4,000 ounces of gold left to drag out of the dirt, Kagin said."

But yet, he is going to AUCTION off his 180 acre property? There could be a bigger nugget there than what he has found, but yet, he wants to sell his property?

Lets see Gold is $1,400 an oz X 4,000 oz = $5,600,000.00

Doesn't make sense and something doesn't smell right? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

I believe I would be digging all over my property and not sell it if you ask me, especially if I can possibly find a nugget bigger than the one I found already!

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
TheHarleyMan2 said:
OK someone help me out? Ok, the man finds the 8.2 pound nugget, and also finds 4 and 10 oz nuggets.

"The seller was so inspired by the sale of the nugget sale that he asked Kagin afterward to sell the land where the nugget was found. It consists of 180 acres about 20 miles east of Nevada City, and assayers have already guessed there are at least 4,000 ounces of gold left to drag out of the dirt, Kagin said."

But yet, he is going to AUCTION off his 180 acre property? There could be a bigger nugget there than what he has found, but yet, he wants to sell his property?

Doesn't make sense and something doesn't smell right? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

I believe I would be digging all over my property and not sell it if you ask me, especially if I can possibly find a nugget bigger than the one I found already!

The article says "assayers have already guessed there are at least 4,000 ounces of gold left to drag out of the dirt" so he should get a pretty good price for it without having to do any of the digging himself. Personally I would rather have the 180 acres to hunt on but I guess he just wants to cash out. He would probably make more money charging people to come out there with detectors or prospecting equipment. I would probably pay $20 or $30 bucks a day just for the opportunity to hunt there. That would be cheaper then dinner and a movie and a heck of a lot more fun.

HH Charlie

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
TheHarleyMan2 said:

The article says "assayers have already guessed there are at least 4,000 ounces of gold left to drag out of the dirt" so he should get a pretty good price for it without having to do any of the digging himself. Personally I would rather have the 180 acres to hunt on but I guess he just wants to cash out. He would probably make more money charging people to come out there with detectors or prospecting equipment. I would probably pay $20 or $30 bucks a day just for the opportunity to hunt there. That would be cheaper then dinner and a movie and a heck of a lot more fun.

HH Charlie

I hear ya. He should contact GPAA or LDMA and lease out the property. Or just like you said, charge people to come out and dig your own dirt. I don't think the article never said it was private property either, just on his property.

Maybe someone should try and get in touch with the owner and throw the idea into his head. :sign13: :dontknow:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe he justs wants to retire, kick back and enjoy the last years of his life. Nobody knows.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was smart enough to get about 3 times melt value and remain anonymous. I think he'll figure it out.
Kudos.

jeff k

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2006
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DownUnder said:
Check the news, looks like this nugget was actually found in Victoria, Australia back in 1987.

"This nugget was found in 87 by my uncle in rokewood, Victoria, Australia using a mine lab. A lot of people here know this and it is well documented and many photographs so this is going to be huge when it all comes undone for whoever is trying to make some huge $$$.."

--------------------------------

"Yes Jarrod, things may get pretty heated when the truth is exposed.

Someone has paid 3 x spot price for a rare nugget claimed to be the largest surviving American slug in private collections( or something to this effect), claimed to be found last year in California.

This nugget that is being labelled the "Washington Nugget" was found here in Victoria in 1987 by a very experienced prospector, who after 30+ years is still prospecting today. Because of his rather monastic manner in which he applies his trade, he would rather not have his identity known on here or any other forum, at least not for the moment."

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t4536-460000-82-pound-1312-oz-gold-nugget-found

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope the fraudulent thief gets a visit from the feds for fraud. If I was the buyer I certainly would be going after the auction house as well as the seller!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread