Upvote 0

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats man! i dug a broken quartz arrow head once,came out of the hole with a old button other than that i don't know much about stone tools.but,seems ya hit it big! nice to see a non-metallic item up on the banner for a change :thumbsup:

OP
OP
MANCHU

MANCHU

May 29, 2009
West Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You !! Thank You !! Thank You !! All so very much for all your post and your Banner votes !! :icon_thumleft: I am a very blessed person , not just for this find but i have some wonderful friends and a great family . I might not ever top this find in the rest of my life , but i'm not going to stop walking around with my head down. I love to hunt artifacts and be outdoors !! Thanks Again !!!!

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
hells bells ya!!! that is one of the finest crafted points that i have EVER had the opportunity of looking at def. banner all day bro congrats!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hotcha-cha-cha-chaaaa !!! That thing is a truly a work of art :o :o :o
Congratulations on a spectacular find :icon_thumleft:

GG~

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One very sad sidenote is that Folsom points are among the top 3 faked points out there. The other two being Clovis and Cumberland respectively. It is amazing when you type "Folsom Arrowhead" into ebay the amount of CRAP you get. Now I am not discounting the modern knappers who are true artists, but it really destroys the hobby that there are so many unscrupulous fakes out there being marketed or represented as authentic. I wish modern knappers would etch on there points obverse so as not to let anyone confuse them as authentic.

Having found many points myself here in Florida, it is a feeling that you can never describe when you first find one. Being the first one to touch it in thousands of years! Imagining the circumstances that it was lost and what it was used for.

I was shaking myself when I saw it. Many congrats again :notworthy: :notworthy:

Aaron

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what beauty!... don't have many points but that would look great in any display :notworthy:

OP
OP
MANCHU

MANCHU

May 29, 2009
West Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stpauli914 said:
One very sad sidenote is that Folsom points are among the top 3 faked points out there. The other two being Clovis and Cumberland respectively. It is amazing when you type "Folsom Arrowhead" into ebay the amount of CRAP you get. Now I am not discounting the modern knappers who are true artists, but it really destroys the hobby that there are so many unscrupulous fakes out there being marketed or represented as authentic. I wish modern knappers would etch on there points obverse so as not to let anyone confuse them as authentic.

Having found many points myself here in Florida, it is a feeling that you can never describe when you first find one. Being the first one to touch it in thousands of years! Imagining the circumstances that it was lost and what it was used for.

I was shaking myself when I saw it. Many congrats again :notworthy: :notworthy:
Very well put Sir !!!! That feeling is what keeps us all going out time after time. Great post !!!
Aaron

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! That is one Killer Folsom, Thats one of the nicest points I have ever seen

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
Well I learned something today! Man that is cool! Very happy for you- thanks for sharing such a cool find!!!!!

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
That has to be the finest projectile point I have ever seen! I remember seeing a broken piece in a GIRS article that had similar fine flaking, thinking that I'd like to see a whole one and now here itis! That just further goes to prove that the best points in the world come from Texas!

Alan

OP
OP
MANCHU

MANCHU

May 29, 2009
West Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Name for Folsom ?? Been thinking about it and people have been telling me that it needs a name so i think " Gaines" is a good name I found it in Gaines Co. so there. The Gaines Folsom !! What do ya'll think ???

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Gaines Folsom? That's nonsense - doesn't have any ring to it. You need to call it the "Twitch Folsom". Of course you'll have to give it to me for that to make sense. Normally I'd just PM you my address and you could send it to me but in this case, because of the quality of the point, PM me your address and I'll fly down there get it personally.

Might also consider the "Joe Folsom". Same logic as above.

tncreeker

Feb 6, 2011
Maggie Valley, N.C.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I`m just starting to learn about points, so I had never heard of the Folsom. I had no knowledge of this sort of form. I love it, the work that it must have taken to make is just phenomenal to me. Congrats on your find, its just stunning! Thank you for sharing this.

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love it! :love4: :love4: :love4:

Good for you!

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Bleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew it Manchu.....I freakin knew it!!!!! I told you to keep hunting that area and you will come up with one based on all of your broken ones. There it is man!!! WOW is all I have to say!!! Chong pm'ed me and being so busy I have not been on in a while, but this one i had to see it and wow is all i can say. That is a beauty. Makes you wonder though by the tip work if that was its original size or was it larger and reworked?? You will eventually find another in that area. You have yourself one great spot and the lack of rain you guys got this year might have helped that one out. I'd be pounding that area out for more which will happen. That is incredible!!! Great find bro!!!..........................................................GTP(Chris)

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
P.B. and Dylan said:
I don't know my Folsom from a hole in the ground, but it appears that the people that do know their Folsoms think this is a sweet find.

Congratulations on the banner and thanks for the education. :icon_thumleft:

Paul
It must come with the name, I'm excited for ALL of you, but don't know a damn thing about them! Congratulations! Paul

OP
OP
MANCHU

MANCHU

May 29, 2009
West Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get-the-point said:
Holy Bleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew it Manchu.....I freakin knew it!!!!! I told you to keep hunting that area and you will come up with one based on all of your broken ones. There it is man!!! WOW is all I have to say!!! Chong pm'ed me and being so busy I have not been on in a while, but this one i had to see it and wow is all i can say. That is a beauty. Makes you wonder though by the tip work if that was its original size or was it larger and reworked?? You will eventually find another in that area. You have yourself one great spot and the lack of rain you guys got this year might have helped that one out. I'd be pounding that area out for more which will happen. That is incredible!!! Great find bro!!!..........................................................GTP(Chris)

I Know I know you where right about keep looking , but this is another spot !!!! So now i can add another camp to the paleo camp list. And about the original size thing , i don't know. I have seen some pics of folsoms when they where fluted parts of the tip came off so maybe thats it or he could have made a kill with it and then reworked it. ?????Been looking online for one to compare it to , the black water draw folsom is the only one that i have come up with , the edge work on this one looks better then that one. And have not found another one that has come from Texas even close to it. I'm very happy with it. Thanks for your post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread