Football Players, Gold Nuggets and National Forest

C

Charles,Oak Island

Now that I have your attention: Years ago I read an article in an Adventure Magazine about a group of NFL football players on vaction at a national forest diving for gold nuggets. I belive it was at Uwharrie National Forest. The article came out about 15-20 years ago I have long since lost the magazine during moves. Does anyone by chance real this article ? ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Charles,Oak Island

No I don't think it was in the PGAA magazine. I think it was either one of those true story magazines or an old Lost Treasure Magizine.

Smithsgold

Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites and Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remeber reading about it Maybe it was The ICMJ.

I think they were from the Colts.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Mark27284

Feb 19, 2006
Kernersville, NC
This is a little late, but the article was in Dave McCracken's magazine Modern Gold Mining and Treasure Hunting. The magazine is no longer in print, but you may be able to get some back issues through their website, www.goldgold.com I had a copy until me and my exwife went our seperate ways.

Donnie Reeves was the guy who helped the NFL players find the gold. He is very well known in the UNF area, and recently ran the Cotton Patch Gold Mine. Not sure where he is now, but if he is still with us he should not be hard to find.

Sandpit

Jan 28, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus 2Ba & Tejon
I read the article years ago and if memory serves me they were dredging a stream at the point it empties into Baden lake, which is adjacent to Uwharrie national forest.

Charles Oak Island NC

Sep 12, 2007
Oak Island and Uwharrie, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X, Tesoro PIranha, Minelab MusketeerX, Garrett 350
Mark27284 said:
This is a little late, but the article was in Dave McCracken's magazine Modern Gold Mining and Treasure Hunting. The magazine is no longer in print, but you may be able to get some back issues through their website, www.goldgold.com I had a copy until me and my exwife went our seperate ways.

Donnie Reeves was the guy who helped the NFL players find the gold. He is very well known in the UNF area, and recently ran the Cotton Patch Gold Mine. Not sure where he is now, but if he is still with us he should not be hard to find.

Mark,
if you are still around thanks for the reply and info. I think the guy I met at Cotton Patch this weekend was named Donnie.
Charles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread