Footwear for Florida beach hunting

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What do you guys wear? I have been going barefoot in the warm months but at the end of the day my feet hurt from digging and just walking. I have found enough gold now that I guess I don't care what I look like anymore. Considering a pair of those water-sock things, just wondering if they are comfortable and keep the small sharp shells out?
Cold days I wear boots or wetsuit boots and they do fine.

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt freshwater beaches here in Minnesota and always wear water shoes, since there is everything from fish hooks to cans in the water. You can find some with fairly thick rubber soles that protect your feet pretty good. My experience is that they don't last much longer than a season or two before the insoles get loose and they get full of sand, so I don't pay too much for them.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water shoes are fine, here on the Lake I wear those canvas slip on shoes similar to sneakers. They have a sturdy sole for protection from sharp rocks and the ever present zebra mussels. Bought at Wally world for under 10 dollars.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
I can't seem to toughen my feet enough to go barefoot all day on the beach, and pushing the slippery SS scoop into the sand with bare feet seems dangerous to me. Maybe I am accident prone. Anyway, I use to wear thin flexible surf booties and after a long day of detecting, the right side of my right foot was sore. My wife broke that bone on her foot and had to have surgery and a screw put in. It turns out the 5th metatarsal is the most vulnerable of your foot bones and most prone to breaking. My doctor advised that I get beach boots with more foot support, so I got a pair of "Stealth dive boots". They work great and give good support, summer and winter. I know I get strange looks in the summer but I am not there for a beauty contest. They cost about $60 on the internet from Leisure Pro. HH, Papa

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So far, I either barefoot it or use some thrift store sneakers. Where have you been hunting in St. Auggie?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barefoot when the water is warm, high top zipper booties when the water is cold. :laughing7: Sometimes I'll wear a pair of sheap strap-on sandals if I think I'm going to be hunting the pressing a lot on the scoop in harder sand.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Dive Boots with hard souls. They are good to keep the Stingray out of your feet.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
I wear Lycra socks with scuba boots. I got the Lycra socks at Sea Sport Scuba for about $7. It really helps with leverage on the stealth 720i scoop.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use high top hard bottom dive shoes. In the water here in Fl you dont want to cut your feet..... hard telling what you might get. Lot of red tide in the sand, critters, fishing stuff, and sewage pumped out there.

Dew

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Stingrays are a concern in the water. Wear shoes and shuffle your feet.

I too wear scuba boots with a hard sole.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
I also use a pair of 3mil neoprene gloves. Helps in the surf

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I use a Neo Sport dive not when cooler and a wading shoe with arch supports glued in during the summer. I am just too flat footed for a long day of hunting on the wet sand without good shoes.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I use a Neo Sport dive boots when cooler and a wading shoe with arch supports glued in during the summer. I am just too flat footed for a long day of hunting on the wet sand without good shoes.

JC Florida

Dec 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Water shoes are pretty good against everything but sting rays. Shuffle your feet in the water and you should be fine. I kick up one or two on just about every trip to the east coast

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread