Upvote 0

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no but will have to try. About a year ago we hit a empty lot in Sherman and my brother scored a 1899 quarter. If its a 100 year old park you might try way out in the fields as the easier places have been hit over and over. Plus theres less trash to weed through. Listen for the deep wispers. Maybe we can hook up there next Saturday ? Im in Plano. Check your private messages

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no but will have to try. About a year ago we hit a empty lot in Sherman and my brother scored a 1899 quarter. If its a 100 year old park you might try way out in the fields as the easier places have been hit over and over. Plus theres less trash to weed through. Listen for the deep wispers. Maybe we can hook up there next Saturday ? Im in Plano. Check your private messages
My brother lives in Sherman, and we have hit a few empty lots, particularly around Austin College. Have found a few silver, no barbers like that though. Tell your brother nice find. I actually live south of Fort Worth, so do not get up to Denison a lot. I got your pm, so next time I am looking to get up that way I will give you a call. I really have done all you suggested, including going into a relatively small wooded area at the edge of the park. Have just been wondering if any one else had any luck.

asmerri

Mar 19, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, E-Trac
Hey Wayne,

I live in Denison and do the majority of my hunting there. I have hunted Munson park one time. I tried to hunt the main areas but it was so trashed out that I gave up. I decided to hunt the tree line on the far west side of the park. Obviously a lot less junk. I didn't find any old coins but I found around 15 early 1900s shotgun shell ends along with some other shot slugs. The guy I hunt with has hunted Denison for over 20 years now and he doesn't bother with that park anymore if that tells you anything.
Shoot me a message if you ever want to hunt somewhere. Im always looking for other detecting enthusiasts to hunt with.

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Wayne,

I live in Denison and do the majority of my hunting there. I have hunted Munson park one time. I tried to hunt the main areas but it was so trashed out that I gave up. I decided to hunt the tree line on the far west side of the park. Obviously a lot less junk. I didn't find any old coins but I found around 15 early 1900s shotgun shell ends along with some other shot slugs. The guy I hunt with has hunted Denison for over 20 years now and he doesn't bother with that park anymore if that tells you anything.
Shoot me a message if you ever want to hunt somewhere. Im always looking for other detecting enthusiasts to hunt with.
I have also hunted that tree line, and did no better than you. Did the guy you hunt with ever pull anything good out of Munson park?

asmerri

Mar 19, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, E-Trac
He said many years ago he found a couple mercs. I found I thread on t net one time where a guy found a barber dime out there as well.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A place is never hunted out", this has been proven over and over. Some places require more patience and improved hunting techniques, swing low and slow. Test the area, plant a coin or two and see what your machine says about them and readjust your settings as required. What are the best settings for Depth with your machine? Likely older coins will be deeper in the ground. Headphones really help to hear those whisper signals! Maybe you need to change your coil type or size to facilitate detecting in this old well detected area.

100 Years of being a park - lets see that would have started in about 1913! Back in those days people had bands out in the parks for people to listen to and or dance to, festivals were held there, amusement rides could have been setup there, foot races, football games, baseball games, Easter egg hunts (don't expect the eggs to still be good). I truly doubt it is hunted out I think a change in detecting methods will be of some use in your quest for "Old Lost Stuff" in that local.

I wish you much success........................63bkpkr

What does your research tell you about the park? Where did they setup the entertainment? What was the park Used For? Old newspapers might have some interesting inputs?

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found I thread on t net one time where a guy found a barber dime out there as well.

Yep, that was me. Found it under a bench. And that's about all I found, too. Apart from the Barber dime (my first and only so far), it was disappointing. I live in Bethesda, MD, and jusr happened to drive through there earlier this year. Good luck!

asmerri

Mar 19, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, E-Trac
Yep, that was me. Found it under a bench. And that's about all I found, too. Apart from the Barber dime (my first and only so far), it was disappointing. I live in Bethesda, MD, and jusr happened to drive through there earlier this year. Good luck!

Ha! That's funny. Your post about the Barber dime is the only reason I went to that park. I prefer hunting yards the majority of the time. Denison is an old town (for this part of the country) with lots of old houses to hunt.

OP
OP
E

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! That's funny. Your post about the Barber dime is the only reason I went to that park. I prefer hunting yards the majority of the time. Denison is an old town (for this part of the country) with lots of old houses to hunt.
It does have plenty of old houses. My mom use to live on Texas street, near where 75 use to run thru town. Found an indian head and a couple of V nickels in the lot across the street. Found a couple of mercs some years back at McKenzie park.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread