? for any shellers out there - do you recognize rocks ?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I understand people who collect sea shells are called shellers, I have a question.

between my house and town I walk ~1/2mi of beach, and having no detector in hand I look for interesting shells
for me shell recognition involves color and/or shape, and most shells have distinct colors and sometimes an associated shape

but some rock fragments can have the exact coloration, and even some shape elements
- to the point I bend over to see it better/pick it up, and . . . . it is a rock
over time/tides I will see the same rock over and over, and I chide myself for getting suckered again and again

is it common to repeatedly mistake the same rock for a shell ? (some I have named)

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure? Mark the rock next time you see it. Or take it home. People used to make pets of them.

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
if I see a nice shell I will pick it up, I drilled some to hang in the breeze
so I also picked up some rocks but they cannot be drilled to hang in a specific manner unobtrusively like shells,
not useful other than as a fake shell

the beach is a dark sand with light bands of gravel, jasper and hematite abound; I'll pick some up again

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rocks look like shells? Need pics of this. How do you drill shells without breaking them?

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
will get some rocks & pics

shells are calcium carbonate with variable hardness (some are too hard)
I use a hss 1/16" bit and a variable speed drill, fuss a bit to find the pressure/rotation speed combo
the bits do dull, buy a number of them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions