for Bass Assassin #1

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree, not enough action on this site...so to kick it up a notch I will start a continuing thread with a little story....

A couple of years ago I was out at night with my middle son walking the beach in a storm. Man was the wind howling and the rain was coming down in sheets, except the wind was blowing so hard this rain was coming horizontal not vertical...ever been out in a storm where your butt is wetter than your shoulders?....that's what I'm talking about here. Anyway, there we were, and to be honest I don't even remember what we thought we were doing going for a walk and all... so there we are shouting at each other fighting to be heard over the storm and my son stops and pulls this bottle out of the clay. Mind you it is dark and I can't see a thing as my glasses are fogged, and streaming with rain so I can't even really look at it until we get back to the cabin. It turns out to be a "BEGGS DANDELION BITTERS" from say, about the 1890's.

Anyhow, this was just the FIRST bottle we found at this site. The rest will follow one at a time, and they were all found one at a time, all at the same place within a few yards of each other, over a period of about 2 years.

Attachments

• DSC03318.JPG
    DSC03318.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 141

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Can't wait to hear the rest. Josh, go get the popcorn

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY NICE BITTERS--GREAT FIND !!!

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice man. Makes me kinda sad though. My 19th century dump is cleaned out :(. Great save and HH!

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey unclemac,

That is an excellent flask. Does it have Sioux City, or Chicago on the reverse?

"Sometime during 1880, Charles W. Beggs proposed a partnership with E. C. DeWitt who had been manufacturing and selling patent medicines to a local market. Both men at that time were residents of Elk Point, Dakota Territory. A partnership was formed and by 1883 the patent medicine firm of Beggs & DeWitt had moved to Sioux City, Iowa. During 1886 the business was moved to Chicago and eventually the partnership was dissolved.

Both men then established separate patent medicine companies, both of which were very successful.
All known examples have been blown from the same mold and are embossed BEGGS DANDELION BITTERS on one side and SIOUX CITY IOWA on the opposite side. The bottles will display various degrees of crudeness and come in a wide range of amber coloration. The examples shown here display the drastic difference in color. One bottle is a wonderful light yellow amber while the other bottle is a very dense amber with hundreds of seed bubbles in the glass to add to its character." http://www.fohbc.org/PDF_Files/Iowa_Bitters.pdf

"The Demon of Despair -- Insomnia, and its twin brother dyspepsia, are
the offspring of a disordered stomach. A positive cure is at hand in
Beggs' Dandelion Bitters. Sold by all druggists." RootsWeb:

$(KGrHqJ,!jQE-g4DjUSgBP4Q!(e3cg~~60_57.JPG
RARE Beggs' Dandelion Bitters Yellow Ambe Mint | eBay

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Harry,

I gotta tell'ya; You've got the nicest photo presentation in all of Bottledom, as far as I'm concerned. :notworthy:

tumblr_mjqn9q53KG1qzl7pko1_500.jpg

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This one too has no embossing on the back...no city name all, blank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions