FOR JEFF & ALL BEER CAN COLLECTORS!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FOR JEFF & ALL BEER CAN COLLECTORS!

4 of my best beer can finds in a huge trash dump,,, had to show Jeff after seeing his on the other post!

Love the one you found Jeff, got anymore to show??

P.S.

I remember when you could walk around the woods, along the R&R tracks, etc. 20 - 30 yrs ago, and find these types of cans laying around! These were found at depths from 2ft to 4ft digging in a old dump along the river in my home town some yrs ago...

Attachments

• beercans 002.jpg
    beercans 002.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 395
  • beercans 003.jpg
    beercans 003.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Re: FOR JEFF & ALL BEER CAN COLLECTORS!

Awesome collections!! how do you guys get these? all the tins and cans i find are rusted out and you cant even tell what they used to be...i did find one that started with an s that was an older one but it had been turned into a can pipe lol...o well i guess the soil conditions here must really eat em away :-\

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JakePhelps said:
Awesome collections!!? how do you guys get these? all the tins and cans i find are rusted out and you cant even tell what they used to be...i did find one that started with an s that was an older one but it had been turned into a can pipe lol...o well i guess the soil conditions here must really eat em away :-\

Most of mine were found 15 - 20 yrs ago,,,

I still find one here & there now days but, they're usually as you describe! Rusted to nothing but dust!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JakePhelps said:
Awesome collections!!? how do you guys get these? all the tins and cans i find are rusted out and you cant even tell what they used to be...i did find one that started with an s that was an older one but it had been turned into a can pipe lol...o well i guess the soil conditions here must really eat em away :-\

ALL except the 7UP can came out of LAKE MUD.
The lake was Freshly Drained, The Mud Was So thick, Oxygen couldn't get to them.
The Lead Seams were the only thing to go.
As the Mud Dried & Cracked, Oxygen got in & alot started Rusting before I got to them.

I'm still waiting for Army Corp to Drain it again, So I can go back for more.

? Here is a Pic of my Best selling can from my photo copy of the EBay ad. $80.00

And a Pic of what it should have looked like. mine was a quart tho

Attachments

• LebanonValleyPilsner001.jpg
    LebanonValleyPilsner001.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 204
  • hpct%20Lebanon%20Valley.jpg
    hpct%20Lebanon%20Valley.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 199
OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LW, Didn't You find any in that Lake Mud Yet ?

Jeff,

I've found several beer & soda cans in lakes around here but,,, the majority are so far gone that you can't tell what they are.. There's something in the water/lake mud here in MI that eats tin fairly quickly...

I still find decent cans in the woods, along the higher river bank areas away from the water, and even digging in trash dumps as the soil here "preserves" things pretty well (depending on which part of the state you're digging in)... one side of the state has "sandy soil" and the other side has black moist clay like soil. The sandy area finds on the west side of the state are always in better condition (I guess because the water drains faster & doesn't allow for decay at the same rate)?? The same goes for the upper peninsula of MI,,, the soil conditions up there are "sandy & dry" in a lot of areas, and preservation of artifacts in the soil is much better than down here in the lower peninsula (especially compared to the east side of the state)...

Even the "Ghost towns" in the upper peninsula are well preserved "standing" ghost towns but,,, the ones in the lower portion of MI are long gone due to the climate being humid/moist...

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida

My dad has about 20 cases of Billy Beer that he has a death grip on, I'll see if I can get some pics of his stash sometime!

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jeff of pa said:
JakePhelps said:

ALL except the 7UP can came out of LAKE MUD.
The lake was Freshly Drained, The Mud Was So thick, Oxygen couldn't get to them.
The Lead Seams were the only thing to go.
As the Mud Dried & Cracked, Oxygen got in & alot started Rusting before I got to them.

I'm still waiting for Army Corp to Drain it again, So I can go back for more.

? Here is a Pic of my Best selling can from my photo copy of the EBay ad. $80.00

And a Pic of what it should have looked like. mine was a quart tho

That's a nice profit for a dug can Jeff!

See my post above omni's concerning the "Lake & Mud"...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LW ;

The 7up can was found in the woods, not even buried.

There were some areas in that lake where the can's were just a rotten shell that crumbled in my hands as i'd try to pull them out from the depth, but it was a location thing, like maby acids in the mud.

? I always heard the Dryness was the Reason for the Ghost towns still standing out west.
So I can see where alot of other things would survive out there too.

Like the First pair of LEVIS, I saw on a Treasure Show that time, that were found out west in a Ghost town.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lonewolfe said:
That's a nice profit for a dug can Jeff!

See my post above omni's concerning the "Lake & Mud"...

;D That's why I Spent Dawn to Dusk there Every day for 2 years Except winters, And went home every night looking like a MUD-MAN . ;D

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

;D That's why I Spent Dawn to Dusk there Every day for 2 years Except winters, And went home every night looking like a MUD-MAN . ;D

LOL!

Yeah, I know the "feeling"!

My EX-wife used to yell at me for coming home in that condition (almost nightly) but surely weekly! ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AAAH YA GOTTA LOVE IT :D

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cavers5 said:
How old are those cans?

Thanks,
Cavers

40 to 60+ yrs old for the most part...

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Love "Doing the Dew". ?;D ?Now we can bring a 24pk home every weekend and tell the wife that these are gonna be worth a fortune some day. LOL Just don't get caught drinking the profit. ?:P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions