ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, let me state that in my opinion, this debate is a waste of time, and there are plenty of other coin related topics on which our time could be better spent debating. I imagine the word "penny" has been commonly used in place of "cent" since the first U.S. cent was minted. Its been around as log as the U.S. has minted its own currency and it will continue to be. Even though "penny" is technically incorrect, the word serves its purpose. If someone on this forum says they bought a box of pennies and found 10 wheats, everyone knows that a box of U.S. cents was purchased.

Now some on this forum choose to use the correct term, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that either. However, correcting others everytime they see the word "penny" could be construed as rude behavior. I know I certainly do not like when someone corrects me on every little insignificant thing I do or say that is technically incorrect. But, I see many of the "cent sticklers" using other technically incorrect -but commonly used- coin terminology. Since I assume they want to be technically correct 100% of the time, I cannot in good faith let this continue. So I decided to help them out and put together this little list. I'm sure there are more, but I feel I've already wasted enough time on this insignificant topic.

- "Indian Head" cent - 100% incorrect. That is not an Indian on the front of that coin. That is Lady Liberty wearing a feathered headdress. "Feathered Headdress wearing Lady Liberty cent" would be correct.

- "Buffalo" nickel - 100% incorrect. Thats a bison on the reverse of that coin, not a true buffalo.

- "Mercury" dime - 100% incorrect. That is not the Roman god Mercury depicted on that coin. Its Lady Liberty that for some reason has wings coming out of her head.

I'm not trying to step on any toes here. I'm just trying to make the point that there are many commonly used, but technically incorrect terminologies out there. And when it really comes down to it, does it really matter? I think not.

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noted.

Also, it is mostly incorrect to say that any cent minted after 1857 is copper. After 1857, cents were either brass, bronze, or copper cladded zinc. Many members talk of pre-1982 cents as being copper. Really, they usually mean brass or bronze.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Littelton coin folders. Whitman coin folders and warmand coin folder all use the terms Indian head, Buffalo, and mercury. They also use the term cent to describe the coin that is one one hundredths of a dollar.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I agree, Arkie, While the proper term may be cent, the common term penny is used so often in everyday life that the only place that I call it a cent is here and that is only to avoid being schooled by the penny police. I know I wouldn't walk up to a bank teller down here and ask, "Do you have any cents?" Not when common sense says to just call it a penny.

If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone, somewhere is making a penny. Steven Wright

Last edited:

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, let me state that in my opinion, this debate is a waste of time, and there are plenty of other coin related topics on which our time could be better spent debating. I imagine the word "penny" has been commonly used in place of "cent" since the first U.S. cent was minted. Its been around as log as the U.S. has minted its own currency and it will continue to be. Even though "penny" is technically incorrect, the word serves its purpose. If someone on this forum says they bought a box of pennies and found 10 wheats, everyone knows that a box of U.S. cents was purchased.

Now some on this forum choose to use the correct term, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that either. However, correcting others everytime they see the word "penny" could be construed as rude behavior. I know I certainly do not like when someone corrects me on every little insignificant thing I do or say that is technically incorrect. But, I see many of the "cent sticklers" using other technically incorrect -but commonly used- coin terminology. Since I assume they want to be technically correct 100% of the time, I cannot in good faith let this continue. So I decided to help them out and put together this little list. I'm sure there are more, but I feel I've already wasted enough time on this insignificant topic.

- "Indian Head" cent - 100% incorrect. That is not an Indian on the front of that coin. That is Lady Liberty wearing a feathered headdress. "Feathered Headdress wearing Lady Liberty cent" would be correct.

- "Buffalo" nickel - 100% incorrect. Thats a bison on the reverse of that coin, not a true buffalo.

- "Mercury" dime - 100% incorrect. That is not the Roman god Mercury depicted on that coin. Its Lady Liberty that for some reason has wings coming out of her head.

I'm not trying to step on any toes here. I'm just trying to make the point that there are many commonly used, but technically incorrect terminologies out there. And when it really comes down to it, does it really matter? I think not.

Why can't we all chill out and start rolin'

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At one time, the term "penny" was an alternate name for one pence (1/240th of a pound sterling).
Then, it was the name for 1/100 of a British pound.
All indications are that the US cent has always commonly been known as a penny.
Just because the US cent has an official name, doesn't mean that it can't also have a common name.
Just because "penny" is the official name for something doesn't mean that it can't be the common name for something else.

At one time, the term "car" referred to a wheeled carrier pulled or pushed on a rail.
Now, it is the common term for an automobile. Who's going to sign up to nag everyone who calls their automobile a car?

p.s.
Ever hear the phrase: "A rose by any other name . . . ?" I suppose the hair splitters of this forum object to that and insist that the phrase should be "A Rosa berberifolia by any other name . . ."
(the scientific term for rose is Rosa berberifolia).

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Littelton coin folders. Whitman coin folders and warmand coin folder all use the terms Indian head, Buffalo, and mercury. They also use the term cent to describe the coin that is one one hundredths of a dollar.

And that just further proves the point I was attempting to make.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want this to become a back and forth of who will hold out he longest. I use the term cent. When. I joined t-net I called it a penny. After lengthy discussions with other members I changed my words. I am simply informing those the same way I was informed. Call it what you want. Tomato tomato lolz

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
nu·mis·mat·ics
/ˌn(y)o͞oməzˈmatiks/
Noun
The study or collection of coins, paper currency, and medals

call a spade a spade, call a cent a cent. if'n we talk about coins we should do our best to identify, the day i go back to calling a cent a penny, is the day I change my name to 50penny instead.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the members here have a numismatic slant (some may even be closeted clad lovers). Other members are slanted towards scrap metal.

The numismatic leaning crowd lectures to the scrappers about things like marking halves and slicing open rolls. The scrap metal hoarders lecture the numi'es about things like date checking and keeping au NIFCs.

Why is that the case? Because people love to argue ad populum - if enough people think the same way, it must be right. That argument practice is one of the classic irrelevant conclusion fallacies. But, illogical arguments are persuasive when the target of the argument is biased, gullible, logically impaired, or otherwise impressionable.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
If someone calls a Ken a "Jefferson half," everyone gets all riled up because it is clearly the wrong term. If they post a picture, you can tell it's a Ken. That is identical to the cent/penny debate. A "penny" is clearly wrong, but yet everyone is upset I am correcting them. You all say that you can tell what a person is saying. So can I with a "Jefferson half," but it is numismatically wrong and should be corrected, like the use of "penny."

The fact that's it's widely accepted for many years has no basis. Climate change has been accepted by people for many years, yet there is so much evidence against it.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to propose that all 2$ bills be now known as "Jed Clampett" from Beverly hillbillies. That is all

OP
OP
A

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone calls a Ken a "Jefferson half," everyone gets all riled up because it is clearly the wrong term. If they post a picture, you can tell it's a Ken. That is identical to the cent/penny debate. A "penny" is clearly wrong, but yet everyone is upset I am correcting them. You all say that you can tell what a person is saying. So can I with a "Jefferson half," but it is numismatically wrong and should be corrected, like the use of "penny."

The fact that's it's widely accepted for many years has no basis. Climate change has been accepted by people for many years, yet there is so much evidence against it.

No one, especially me, is stating that "penny" is the correct term for a U.S. cent. But, neither is "Indian Head", "Buffalo", and "Mercury". They are all very commonly used terms for U.S. coins, even though they are all incorrect. According to your post, "The fact that its widely accepted for many years has no basis." If that is true and you have a problem with "penny" because it is numismatically wrong, then by definition you must have a problem with any and all incorrect numismatic terminology such as the 3 examples I listed above.

The point I was trying to make is, "Does it really matter?" The sole purpose of language is communication. If I say, "I went dirt fishing today and found 3 wheat pennies.", is there any doubt whatsoever what I did or what I found? Technically I did no fishing and found no pennies, but I'm pretty sure everyone would understand that I went metal detecting and dug 3 wheat cents. Being from Arkansas and having a horrible hick accent - even for an Arkansan, I might also say something like, "I ain't never buyin' no more rolls of dimes to search 'cause I cain't find no silver in dem dere thangs", which would be a horrible obliteration of the English language. But again, I believe my intended message is easily inferred.

I'm not picking on you Sag. I highly value your opinions and you are without a doubt a very valuable asset to this forum. I fully concede that "penny" is 100% incorrect and "cent" is 100% correct. I would argue that even though the word "penny" is incorrect, that it is so commonly used and easily understood that it is pretty much interchangeable with the word "cent"...even if it isn't the proper term. You should definitely use the correct term when speaking of cents. But, does it really matter if others choose to use "penny" instead?

Ok...I've killed enough time. The temperature is now above freezing so I believe I'll have a little lunch and do a little dirt fishin'. I'm hoping for silver, but all I'll probably find is some of dem dere wheat pennies. :laughing7:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to argue about this either. Someone said this is the coin roll hunting forum. That is correct. It's not the silver searching forum. It's not just about collecting silver. I do both. Truth is, I find coins out of each box with greater value than most are finding of silver, including myself. I've actually reached enough experience and a collection now to make a living doing it. So don't bash the collectors, we might just know more than you do.
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread