For those curious slot riffle vs spiral riffle in Gold Well collection efficiency

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There were some who were curious whether the slotted riffles were capturing most of the gold (doing the work) in the Gold Well sluice. A picture is worth a thousand words.

12 inch sluice riffles loaded with gold 3.jpg 12 inch sluice riffles loaded with gold 2.jpg

For those curious then what the horizontal slots are there for, they are 'mixing wells' that allow the heavy and light material to separate more rapidly (notice chamfer on the leading edge of the slot not typical of a standard drop riffle), and to buffer material temporarily in case the operator overloads the sluice, so that material doesn't load up and wash out of the sluice before the gold is separated and captured.

Very little gold was collected in the slot riffles. Majority of the fine gold (not shown in the photo), was collected around 1/2 way down the sluice where the braking action of the slot riffles slowed the water velocity sufficiently. The chamfer leads the water down into the pocket where it creates turbulence and brakes the water velocity a small amount between slots, resulting in the same effect as a widening sluice.

Material was processed in Alaska.

Upvote 0

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
in another thread awhile back they said they had several of these units they were going to give away to anyone that sent or notified them to be put on their list.... i did so and never heard another thing about it. i was going to post a question about it but this thread poped up, so i guess that answered my question without asking it!

Russau,

That was PmgSourDough who offered us a free sluice as he was having a machine shop build 25 units. I never expected to ever see the sluice. Why anyone would pay to have 25 built and then hand them out free including paying the shipping.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mods, please lock and close this thread

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how Az could have offended you so badly. He asked
why would would spend so much for a sluice when high quality sluices (and very efficient)
are available for hundreds less?

I have no doubt that LP13's sluice is quite good, and built like a tank. Still, even as an
experienced sluicer (is that a word?) I could not rationalize that kind of expense for
a sluice unless it's performance was so far beyond anything else in the market that
I felt the added expense would pay off in much greater gold capture.

The term "Greenhorn" is not a term of disrespect, but rather it signifies how much
experience one has at prospecting. AzViper's been prospecting all his life, and
in his own way is trying to help you make good choices as a beginner. I respect men
who "tell it like it is", and like most Sourdoughs (a term for very experienced prospector)
he doesn't beat around the bush when he's got something to say. If he's got something
to say, then I would listen and pay attention because he knows what the hell he's doing.

Do hope you'll stay around, as there are loads of helpful info here, plus having the
benefit of those far more experienced. Even though I get out on the creek 3-4 days
a week, I still consider myself a hobby prospector. When men (and women) have spent
their working lives mining, they may not share info in the most politically correct fashion,
however it's still worth paying attention to, especially for a greenhorn. I learn new things on
here every day, and when put into practice it generally pays off with better gold in the pan
at the end of the day.

All the best to ya, and once your skin thickens up a bit (and it will) I think you'll find that
this is a unique site worth spending the time on. The Mod's here are 1st Class, and if they
felt the comments were out-of-line I can assure you they would have dealt with the issue.

Last edited:
K

Keigan

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how Az could have offended you so badly. He asked
why would would spend so much for a sluice when high quality sluices (and very efficient)
are available for hundreds less?

I have no doubt that LP13's sluice is quite good, and built like a tank. Still, even as an
experienced sluicer (is that a word?) I could not rationalize that kind of expense for
a sluice unless it's performance was so far beyond anything else in the market that

The term "Greenhorn" is not a term of disrespect, but rather it signifies how much
experience one has at prospecting. AzViper's been prospecting all his life, and
in his own way is trying to help you make good choices as a beginner. I respect men
who "tell it like it is", and like most Sourdoughs (a term for very experienced prospector)
he doesn't beat around the bush when he's got something to say. If he's got something
to say, then I would listen and pay attention because he knows what the hell he's doing.

Do hope you'll stay around, as there are loads of helpful info here, plus having the
benefit of those far more experienced. Even though I get out on the creek 3-4 days
a week, I still consider myself a hobby prospector. When men (and women) have spent
their working lives mining, they may not share info in the most politically correct fashion,
however it's still worth paying attention to, especially for a greenhorn. I learn new things on
here every day, and when put into practice it generally pays off with better gold in the pan
at the end of the day.

All the best to ya, and once your skin thickens up a bit (and it will) I think you'll find that
this is a unique site worth spending the time on. The Mod's here are 1st Class, and if they
felt the comments were out-of-line I can assure you they would have dealt with the issue.

Dizzy,

I disagree, he was out of line and then he took it to different level trying to justify his actions - his IM to me was inflammatory, unjustified and abusive.

Mods or no mods, Are you sure you know this guy and want to defend his actions?

I get that you are trying to help explain the intensions of your buddy, but leave it alone - he has shown his true character, ask yourself if that is who you want to associate yourself with.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I always find it funny when newbies scream for threads to the locked and deleted because they don't like what they are being told. Apparently he didn't like to be told he was new and inexperienced. Oh the horrors of being called "new" when you are just starting something! He already asked to have his account deleted so, "don't let the door hit ya on the way out!"

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mods or no mods, Are you sure you know this guy and want to defend his actions?

I get that you are trying to help explain the intensions of your buddy, but leave it alone - he has
shown his true character, ask yourself if that is who you want to associate yourself with.

No offense Keigan, but given a choice of spending the day prospecting with him, or with you,
and although I've never met or spoke with Az, I'd dig holes in the dust and heat with him 6
days a week and twice on Sunday if I got the invite. Man has shown himself, by his actions, to
be a person with honor who works damn hard for the gold that he gets, and in the past he
has sincerely reached out and helped many beginners like yourself.

There is no benefit in me continuing this discussion; the Mod's here have little patience
for ridiculous arguments, and neither do I. Besides, I've still got a tub of con's to pan out from
last evenings 3 hr. trip to the creek.

I do wish you well in your prospecting, and please keep in mind that the best
of advice doesn't always come with a silver wrapper around it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
... snip ...

... snip ...

Well I think what you need here then is simply to be shown the many advantages that you are not aware of incorporated in the Gold Well:

a) It can be hidden in plain sight from your wife that you have told you have finally been cured of gold fever after that last session with the shrink, and telling her it's a seedling starting tray. Start petunias and other plants in it until the weather is good and you can get out and do some gold prospecting. TIP: Don't forget to blame the cat or the dog when she finds all the seedlings spread all over the patio. Or if you live in Alaska, Canada or the Northwest, you can try blaming it on a Grizzly.

b) When trapped in camp because of bad weather it can substitute for a number of board games. I will include the instructions in the newest version of the manual.

c) Doubles as a waffle iron. Put a bow on it and give it to her for her birthday or xmas along with the toaster and new frying pan.

d) If you are in the habit of trespassing on other claims, it might come in handy and be helpful in deflecting bullets. If you are a bit overweight (or for larger caliber bullets,) you might consider the larger commercial grade model. :tongue3:

e) If you end up getting lost, you can use it with a string and a stick to capture some dinner. (I saw that on Discovery Channel :)

f) Flip it over and put it on a couple 5 gallon buckets for a quick handy table for your camp stove, or tray for setting lunch on. Makes a neat bench for the kids too!

g) When you retire, it makes a great conversation piece that you can hang over your mantle along with your rusty old gold pans.

h) Strap it on top your car or truck for a quick luggage rack.

i) Add a few ropes and straps and it makes a great pack frame for packing all your other gear into remote places!

j) Strap it on the front bumper of your SUV or 4x4 if you live where it snows, and use it to plow the driveway after a snow!

WARNING! If you live in an area that snows, we advise that you DO NOT attempt to use it as a sled, as the spiral riffles are a bit sharp.

That should be enough good reasons for any reasonable man! If that won't sell you on it nothing will :icon_scratch:

(oh ... did I forget to mention that with the extra gold it captures and the increased material processing rate that it can pay for itself in no time, provided you use it more than a couple times a year? Or that it can process cons extremely fast ...)

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHA LP13! While you product is WAY more $$$ than I would pay, I like your sense of humor. It would be interesting to play with one of your sluices if I ever met someone who owned it.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ended having to block the guy to keep him from pming me. He was getting out of hand. He is not worth the trouble and highly suspect he is conneted to someone else in this thread...

OP
OP
L

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I ended having to block the guy to keep him from pming me. He was getting out of hand. He is not worth the trouble and highly suspect he is conneted to someone else in this thread...

That's just too funny for me to pass up responding to...

Actually, I have to fess up ... almost everyone in this thread is working with me in a grand conspiracy against you :laughing7: A lot of them are my stealth profiles too!

Paranoid much?

TBH I really don't need to enlist the help of others. I think I can hold my own just fine when motivated to. And if someone I know actually IS trying to help me out, it's without my knowledge. And the last thing I or anyone I know would want to do, would be to PM you. Think about it. Did you ever get a PM from me? Nope.

Ok so carry on...

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well that's funny. I block you months ago from contacting me through PM's after the first round of BS from your screen name and the others that were connected to you. So I would never know if you PMed me recently nor do I care. I wish you luck in selling your sluice. As I said earlier your sluice looks of high quality, but is it really a $550.00 sluice? Nobody I know would fork the $$$.

As far as Mr. Keigan. Because he is blasting me of inflammatory, unjustified and abuse of IM’s I felt compelled to copy and paste my PM’s to Mr. Keigan. I may ad he PMed me first and due to being at work and not replying to his PM’s in a timely manner he thought he would take it to the forums. So Mr. Keigan here is my replies to you sir.

My First reply, what’s in red was his questions to me,

Why are you all over this guy? He showed up in these forums and other forum under a number of screen names self-promoting his product, prices change daily, If prospectors were buying his sluice don't you think they would be posting? Way over-priced.

Why are you calling me out in public forum? You came to the forums for help and I and others are trying to enlighten you not to make mistakes.

Do you own this website forum? I have no connection to the website other than being a paying member.. It’s your money so if you want to invest in an overpriced sluice go for it but there are many others that will produce the same results.

What does "charter member" represent? Are there responsibilities with that title or do you view it as a license to do what you want? The website is free to post and view. I paid a fee to the website to help offset their operating cost, that making me a Charter Member.

I'm new here, do your action encourage me to stick around or depart...... Well I and others hope you stick around. I am not targeting you but you announced that you were new to prospecting. I have seen many people go buy all the gear and it sits collecting dust.

You mention that you have done research. There is very little info. on the Gold Well other than what he and his investors proclaim. The internet is full BS and many of us think it’s a bunch of snake oil. If the price was in the $200.00 range then maybe I would buy it. Money is not an issue in my household but I am a practical man and invest my dollars wisely, the GW is not a wise investment in my book... Keith

My second reply,

Maybe you should do some back reading of older post buddy. You are new here and have no clue what went on prior to your arrival, but then again maybe you do LP13...

My third reply,

Stop messaging me or I will report you to the brass..

Does anyone see or read any inflammatory, unjustified and abuse in my PM's to Mr. Keigan?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well again you spout lies, Viper. I have been in these forums since late in 2012, and I have had one and only one screen name here. I don't need to hide under a bunch of phoney user accounts. That's something up your alley, not mine. And as far as other people doing whatever they do, I don't have control over anyone nor tell them what to do or not do in these or any other forums. So if you have an issue with others take it to them, not me, and keep me out of your innuendos. If it was not me, why do you beat around the bush? Why not just man up and name who it was you were referring to in your last post. Why not? ... let me state it like you do ... someone here is a backstabber and doesn't have the b***s to be direct.

Fact is that people who are using and making videos, for example, have had their hands on and understand my sluice. Fact is you have no personal knowledge whatsoever of it. Quit helping others with something you know nothing about. Remember that people are accountable for what they say publicly. Just a thought to keep in mind when you start professing knowledge of things you know nothing about and cast about lies and aspersions carelessly.

Now as a favor to the OTHER fine people here, this will be my last post in this thread. I am reminded of an old saying that goes something like "When you rub up against a skunk you are bound to end up smelling like one." I'm tired of the stink. So make your last post that proves you are right and I am a fraud, blah blah blah ... as you are bound to do and be done with it. And don't give up your day job to become an investment adviser. Just a helpful tip.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well again you spout lies, Viper.
LP13 when you first brought your sluice to these forums there were a number of threads started promoting your sluice under other screen names. You took a lot of heat from many members. You also were posting links to your website of which was against the websites rules. I even mention to you to become a charter member so that you could use your website link within your signature. Again I am not questioning your sluice ability to capture gold, personal I think its a damn good piece of engineering but at the same token many sluices will capture gold without spending a quarter of what your selling your sluice for. Do yourself a favor donate to become a charter member and place a link within your signature. Nobody is backstabber you sir, but when you come into these forums and announce that the machining cost is very little what do you expect where sluices less than half the cost will do just as good.

Last edited:

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never heard of your sluice before. It looks very interesting, I would like to see more videos on it and it working with a clean up. As far so the prices it's your product with your idea I fill you can set your price. I'm a fairly new member on this forum and have seen a few of these with ppl attacking each other. Smh I don't understand why for the most part there is great info and ppl on here and I don't know about everyone else but I love to see new way to get gold. I would love to see it side by side with a bazooka gold trap.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never heard of your sluice before. It looks very interesting, I would like to see more videos on it and it working with a clean up. As far so the prices it's your product with your idea I fill you can set your price. I'm a fairly new member on this forum and have seen a few of these with ppl attacking each other. Smh I don't understand why for the most part there is great info and ppl on here and I don't know about everyone else but I love to see new way to get gold. I would love to see it side by side with a bazooka gold trap.

I have to agree. I would like to see it side by side with a Bazooka but running the same concentrate and scale the gold that each sluice captures.

OP
OP
L

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LP13 when you first brought your sluice to these forums there were a number of threads started promoting your sluice under other screen names. You took a lot of heat from many members. You also were posting links to your website of which was against the websites rules. I even mention to you to become a charter member so that you could use your website link within your signature. Again I am not questioning your sluice ability to capture gold, personal I think its a damn good piece of engineering but at the same token many sluices will capture gold without spending a quarter of what your selling your sluice for. Do yourself a favor donate to become a charter member and place a link within your signature. Nobody is backstabber you sir, but when you come into these forums and announce that the machining cost is very little what do you expect where sluices less than half the cost will do just as good.

Get your facts straight:

Here is a quote regarding my posts here by Jeff of PA, found in another thread when you guys tried that before:

Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
First off as long as Debate is allowed, I do not consider it advertising.
it's borderline. (I did remove a phone #)
If for example someone paid to advertise their product here,
posts putting the product down or suggesting other brands are better,
and cheaper would be removed.

But discussion of products should be ok imo

My personal take on this is an Introduction and as long as he
doesn't list ordering details it is not a Classified.

I do believe inventors should be allowed to introduce their inventions for debate
and possible improvement.

Thank Ya !

Jeff

No website links removed, because there were never any. I mentioned very early on before I knew all the rules, my phone #. That's it.
I have never had any other screen names here. Period. Verify it with T-net if you like, I have a fixed IP since I am a business. They can tell if there is more than one account at this IP.

I said that about the cost of machining parts to shut you up and your incessant 'make it outta plastic cheaper and farm it out to China for manufacture' ... you grow on my nerves. You keep spouting the same thing over and over like a broken record. It will be made how it's made and that is the end of that once and for all. But of course if you want plastic you can wait for it before you buy one...

Oh and speaking of other identities, is that Got4by4 user account yours? Sure seems to use the same style ... huge fonts and bold to maximize attention ... just like you. Don't really see many others doing that here too often ...

OKLA Prospector. I will see about arranging that test. I know a couple of people that probably have access to a bazooka and who also have a Gold Well. I don't know what 'scaling the gold' is supposed to mean Viper, unless you mean just weighing it.

I think the simplest way to test it is to put one sluice behind the other, running the same material including all gold captured through both sluices. First all the material and gold goes through the bazooka then into the Gold Well and see what the Gold Well comes up with.
Then turn it around. Run all that material and gold back through the Gold Well first then through the bazooka below it and see what it comes up with.
Or maybe a test of the Gold Well running maxed out and the same feed rate of material through the bazooka and see if it can keep up without loading up and losing gold? There are several ways to test it.

Any further input on that before I get it done?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Jeff said debate. Knowing Jeff I am pretty sure he meant civil debate or the thread will be locked.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well here are the facts and no I was not lying. Here is one screen name that I was able to locate that's associated with Gold Well. I never said that LP13 was using multiple screen names but others within the company were promoting the sluice. There were others but I am not going to waste my time looking. Make sure to read all the replies in this thread.

Gold Well

Sorry Got4by4 is not me and the mods can look up my ip and whoever owns Got4by4.

Russau, here is the link where you were offered a free sluice. Also Reed Lukens is testing the Gold Well Sluice, says he likes but is on the ropes on the pricing.

Sluice Review

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well here are the facts and no I was not lying. Here is one screen name that I was able to locate that's associated with Gold Well. I never said that LP13 was using multiple screen names but others within the company were promoting the sluice. There were others but I am not going to waste my time looking. Make sure to read all the replies in this thread.

Gold Well

Sorry Got4by4 is not me and the mods can look up my ip and whoever owns Got4by4.

I have said this before. HM Research of Wickenburg, AZ (which is who manufacturers the sluice and develops it) is not any part of GOLD WELL LLC out of Anchorage, AK. They are two separate entities entirely. One is a sole proprietorship and the other a LLC. I have no say in what they do. So don't make me responsible for what they do. You may have a family member that you have advised about something, but you know, if you do, that you can't make them do what you want. And I do believe that after I spoke to them about that particular incident that they no longer post here on t-net. So at least I did something about that, and was lucky they chose to agree with me. They were unfamiliar with the rules here and I mentioned it to them.

Problem with PC's, internet and all that is that we are bombarded with dialog boxes and agreements and all that crap, and it says 'blah blah blah... wipe out your hard drive ... do you agree?' and nobody reads it, they just press OK. :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Jeff said debate. Knowing Jeff I am pretty sure he meant civil debate or the thread will be locked.

You can discuss the Product, as long as you Know what you are talking about.
you can also Ask legit questions.

IF you never owned one, no Judgements !
unless it,s something you see in the pictures or descriptions

Members have been deleted for Judging certain brands of detectors they have never used,
same goes for equipment.

And absolutly No Judgements of Members !, or accusations they have several Identities,
the last one to accuse a member, started a 6 month vacation Wednesday.

I yes, keep things civil& on topic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread