mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
pick up sticks, we still play it. My Bro & I use to set up a table over the big oil furnce vent & play monopoly. thread a button & make it spin. having plantain wars where you use the stem to shoot off the top. so many things we use to do that ya just don't see anymore. but no matter what I played, I still always got in trouble, & my solution was to climb a tree & hide, or hide in the corn patch.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer.... OK it may be a drinking game, but we started off young :laughing7:

Barf... Played hearts and the loser had to drink a nasty concoction, played until someone got ill :laughing7:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
'Mumblety-peg' with a pocket knife, but not the version Wiki writes about (seeing how close to your own foot you could throw a knife) we would see how far from our opponents foot we could stick it. If he then couldn't stretch his foot to that spot, he lost.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
macakadon, there are a ton of variations on that game. We would start with legs apart, toss the knife by opponents foot and he would have to cover it until both feet were together, or you got stuck :tongue3:

Another all time favorite game was Skully, that too had several other names.

Stickball and sewer to sewer football, off the curb, or point and *slug were also big in the city

* You wouldn't know slug unless you grew up in the city

Roundup tag was a great game to

too many to mention :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bsloan, I think that would fall under a board game category :tongue3:

The again, kids today haven't a clue about board games either :laughing7:

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh ya, carbide...I can still remember that smell!

I'm a youngster compared to most of you old farts (only 64). But already I'm so far over the hill I can't even see it in the distance anymore. It's funny though, the body ages but not the spirit. If I were able bodily I'd probably want to do what I did in the 60's and hopefully not get caught. I can vividly remember some pretty naughty things if you know what I mean.

I forgot the subject here and had to recheck it.

Okay, the games I can mention here are few but one in particular brings fond memories. I loved to blow things up. Dad managed to get a big box of M-80 firecrackers and I managed to rip them off. Oh the time I put one under a full can of my sister's hairspray! AWESOME! It was like this giant comet that almost took out our house.

I recall the time I almost caused Mr. Wilson (no kidding, that was his name) to crap his pants. I built a very large solid fuel rocket (not a tiny toy) and launched it from our backyard when mom and dad were gone. It tipped slightly upon launch and went on an angle over the Wilson's house. It was so cool! Later Mr. Wilson told me it went right over him and he was still so scared he didn't even cuss me out or tell my dad. I never did find that rocket again.

Good memories.
Badger

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Six empty beer cans (the old ones you used a pointy opener to get to -- before pull tabs), matches, a ten penny nail, can opener, lighter fluid, some aluminum foil and Duct tape.

Take out both ends of 5 of the cans and tape them end to end. The sixth can got two more openings for a total of four. Then you turned it over and punctured it with the nail. Tape the end with the 4 holes to the end of the other five . . . leaving the loading/firing hole exposed.

Squirt just a couple of drops of lighter fluid in, hold the unit with the open ends down and shake back and forth two - four times.

Point in a safe direction, light a match and put it against the loading/firing hole.

Sounds like a military cannon.

DO NOT ATTEMPT WITH ANY PULL TAB CANS! They are aluminium and will not stand up to the pressure and could injure the user.

For added fun, wad up a bit of aluminum foil nice and tight to a size 1/2" smaller than the diameter of the barrel. Will fly (if done properly) 70 - 100 yards. Scares the heck out of the neighbors as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread