For those who dont like clad...just a thought...

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
For those who don't like clad...just a thought...

Some think finding clad is bad....a pain... a disease....well not sure in the end it is such a bad thing! Lets just put it this way...I think anyone who lives in a populated area with a good/average detector should be able to average $3 in clad a hunt.

As far as those who report finding silver all the time amazing how the clad never seems to get in the way! ::) ::) ::) ::)

Great that some claim to find only silver and their detector has a no clad setting...WOW! ;D

Well that is not the point here...the point is more for those who do not hunt a lot and just want to see how a basic plan can result in some good numbers.

Soooooo......if you get out say only 2 times a week....that is $6...does not sound like much does it ??? ???

Ok lets make this scenerio even worse.... :P

Now you can only hunt 8 months a year because of cold...damn this is going to be bad right ???

Well not really....if you take 8 months (32 weeks) and get out just 2 x as said...lets see....that would be 64 hunts not a lot....not a lot at all...but still even for someone who cannot get out a lot 64 x 3 ====$192

Clad can be a good thing...now imagine setting some goals and getting out and staying out a little more! :)

I know a lot of people don't set goals, don't count coins, and don't like clad.....wow maybe not setting goals..counting coins or liking clad is the problem...just a thought....

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Re: For those who don't like clad...just a thought...

I hear ya Gregg........personally, I love finding clad. I usually split my trips into a sweep tight, search for silver where I have found it in the past mode, and later go into an all out fast sweeping US Mint recovery operation of sorts. I really like to see my clad accumulate. I don't have much, but I didn't cash any of my last/first year's digs, and this year's has already surpassed that. At year's end when I take pics of everything and I don't have to keep those two accumulations seperated, I plan on getting one of those old treasure chests they sell on Ebay and throwing all my clad in there. I'm not cashing it unless I find myself living in a cardboard box. Nothing beats coming home with a heavy ass pouch full of those dirty coins!

A

Amex

Ricardo_NY1 said:
Nothing beats coming home with a heavy ass pouch full of those dirty coins!

Haha it's setences like that which make me really want to get into this whole thing!

R

RUDY2003

I know a lot of people don't set goals, don't count coins, and don't like clad.....wow maybe not setting goals..counting coins or liking clad is the problem...just a thought....
[/quote]

You are right on Gregg. I set a goal every time I go out. Now it's to do 100 coins in one day.
It all adds up nicely over time and coins can be found almost everywhere...
Keep diggin'...

K

Kentucky Kache

Only problem is, you can't clean the things. To get 'em clean would take more than their worth.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

Hey Greg. If my EX2 only found $3.00 a hunt I would sell it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

don't have anything against clad but I never seem to find it. I hit 3 kiddie parks last weekend and found NONE at all. I mean c'mon! What the heck am I doing wrong? One was sand,and 2 were mulch. And I dug EVERY signal! not a lot of signals...I got some rusted and sharp metal and trash out of the park for the kiddies though so it's not all bad right?

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

Ricardo_NY1 said:
I hear ya Gregg........personally, I love finding clad. I usually split my trips into a sweep tight, search for silver where I have found it in the past mode, and later go into an all out fast sweeping US Mint recovery operation of sorts. I really like to see my clad accumulate. I don't have much, but I didn't cash any of my last/first year's digs, and this year's has already surpassed that. At year's end when I take pics of everything and I don't have to keep those two accumulations seperated, I plan on getting one of those old treasure chests they sell on Ebay and throwing all my clad in there. I'm not cashing it unless I find myself living in a cardboard box. Nothing beats coming home with a heavy ass pouch full of those dirty coins!
How about a light pouch full of mercury dimes. Just a thought....

Seriously, I dig clad, silver and everything in between. It just doesn't matter what comes out of the ground. I am out there to enjoy the hobby. I don't need justify the purchase of a machine like the old days. I just like to have fun and this hobby is just that FUN!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

I have no problem digging clad Gregg, but jsut because you and I dig clad doesn't mean everyone has to. Some people like digging the old stuff. They post the silver or relics they dig. Since they just throw the clad in a change jar you or I don't see it. I also know a guy who researches and hunts only OLD places, usually the house and everything around is long gone. He finds 45-50 coins a year because he wants the buttons and other relics. What he does find is old copper and silver, and very little clad is any. He chooses what and how to hunt, not us! You like clad and I see no problem and I see no problems with people who don't want to take their valuable time digging clad when they desire old coins or relics. I doubt anyone who finds a quarter or nickel will throw them away. One thing you have a hard time believing is silver. You doubt when people post silver and have great counts. I'm not sure if its because your silver counts are low(hunting newer type Parks) or you can't see how it could be. Ten percent of all coins ever minted are lost and that includes ALOT of sliver!! I have done and seen amazing silver amounts dug day after day by people. Some people know a guy from St Louis named Mike Moultry, he used to have awesome totals in the 700 silver coins a year range, found them hunting with people or hunting by himself. I do believe people do find silver almost every time they go out and those that research do even better than most. You make that DFX sing and I believe 11,000 coins this year is what you will find if not more. But there are going to be people who will dig 300 silver this year as well. Shame you don't live close where I could take you to a few places where your DFX would be singing that silver tune.

And Captain Jack, if you hit three kiddie parks and came up with zero, next time turn the darned detector on and you might get lucky! :o ;D

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

lol, the winds of misfortune are behind me matey! When the curse relents, coined fortune shall rain down upon me once and for all! :-\

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

DFX-Gregg said:
Well not really....if you take 8 months (32 weeks) and get out just 2 x as said...lets see....that would be 64 hunts not a lot....not a lot at all...but still even for someone who cannot get out a lot 64 x 3 ====$192

Wow, that might pay half my yearly battery bill! heh

captain Jack said:
don't have anything against clad but I never seem to find it. I hit 3 kiddie parks last weekend and found NONE at all. I mean c'mon! What the heck am I doing wrong? One was sand,and 2 were mulch. And I dug EVERY signal! not a lot of signals...I got some rusted and sharp metal and trash out of the park for the kiddies though so it's not all bad right?

I had the same happen to me at my last park. Nothing anywhere, the sand didn't even have junk targets in it.

But it was a big heavily traveled park. The little park the day before found me 8$ in clads and a silver ring. I think the big places attract the most hunters.

From now on i'm hitting the places less traveled, little parks, schools, churches, libraries, grassy areas around government buildings, etc.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

My goal is to set some goals........ ;D

I dig clad. Lots of clad. Not much silver where I hunt. Always find clad. Beaches do not pay off as well as local parks and schools. I do not water hunt, just dry land. Beaches get hunted hard and often. I personally like the parks and schools.

So my goal is to set some goals... may be tomorrow or the next day after I dig some more clad. ;D

I really do not keep count but average about two hindered dollars of clad a year. I hunt once or twice a week, time permitting.

Is a great hobby, whatever you like to dig. Clad, relics, buttons, gold, silver, jewelry or pot luck. We all love what we do. Happy Hunting.

;D

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt

one coin, in one place,on one hunt that should not have any clad at all,could be your $192.00.thats my goal.i have no problem hunting clad but around here it does not fair well from ground conditions,so i rather hunt for the very old coins,more exciting to know that when the detector hits a good signal and makes my heart pound with what could it be that deep thats what makes a good hunt for me...mike

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250

I think the biggest thing here is the type of hunts we go on. It is rare to ever dig 100 coins out of someones yard...and that is what i prefer to hunt...Yards of old homes and sites i have researched where something old once stood. I do find my share of clad i just do not post it on here...There is no need...It is clad...I usually buy my lunch or a drink with the clad i have found that day....So by the time i get home to take pix all that is left are the keepers....I guess maybe it is because in Upstate NY there are so many old homes and sites to hunt that i have not resorted to scouring tot lots and parks for new stuff.....most of the time i will not dig penny signals less than 1.5 inches....Unless i am at a site that has not had the clad traffic on it. I think silver is easy to find....All you need to do is hunt places that have not been hunted before. Like the old house down the road.....I went to a site 2 days ago and found over 50 coins the newest being a 1958 penny. Including 18 silver coins and 1 gold ring. If someone chooses to hunt newer areas and find clad so be it....I will however wait til that area is clad free and search it with my 15 and find all the silver left behind...hehe...Seriously though....It is not that we do not like clad....We just do not see the need to tell everyone we found it.......If i posted all the clad i found..(I hunt every day)....People would get sick of reading about it. So i post only things that i find interesting or of value....That is the beauty of it all....What I choose to do does not have to be what YOU choose to do.

But Gregg...If your problem is not having old homes to goto....And you do not like asking permission...I can send you one of my contracts i use and it may help with your obtaining permission from people....I found if people see something in it for them...they are more likely to allow you on their property. All you do is keep a binder full of pics from what you have found to show the homeowner...and show them the contract....And they sign away....Then you too could be a silver finding madman.

Oh and again....4000 coins is nothing to giggle at...It shows some serious determination. HH and if you want one of my contracts to try...just let me know

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

erikk said:
Hey Greg. If my EX2 only found $3.00 a hunt I would sell it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

As you know the idea of this post was to show those who don't get out a lot with a little determination $200 in clad should be within reach! :) ;)

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jbot said:
Only problem is, you can't clean the things. To get 'em clean would take more than their worth.
I can tell you an easy way to clean the clad you find..it took me a little while but I went to a flea market and bought one of those little cheapo rock tumblers...stick my clad in it with a few stones i got from Wal-Mart with some water and a little dish detergent....couple of hours later clean enough to put in the rolls....with the exception of some I keep that the penny worms have gotten a hold of....btw..bought 2 tumblers..5 bucks a piece.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl

I don't take the time to count it every trip, but I do average around $4-$9 in clad most trips(beach) an 2-3$ hunting parks., in the past 1 1/2 years I know I have at least 6000 coins, maybe more,I don't plan on cashing it in,I just keep getting bigger cans to store it all .Its just about to the point where I can no longer pick it up. here's a pic. I took at the 1 year mark.I plan on taking another at the 2 year mark, I have a few months to go.

Attachments

• P1010002a.JPG
    P1010002a.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 255
  • P1010002a.JPG
    P1010002a.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 259
OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

captain Jack said:

Dont feel bad I am also one that is not very lucky in tot lots....I also came out of one with 0 coins before I hit the dirt last week, did get a mood ring though. Today no picture being posted found 48 coins in 2 hours, a little over $4 in clad. My tot lot experience??? 25 minutes 56 cents. So I know how you feel! The few tot lots that I have hit that have not been hunted....even though I mentioned I was in a tot lot and the finds were in the wood chip people come back and say my finds were to clean! :D Like they have never hunted a tot lot! :D :D

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Jack(IN) said:
I have no problem digging clad Gregg, but jsut because you and I dig clad doesn't mean everyone has to. Some people like digging the old stuff. They post the silver or relics they dig. Since they just throw the clad in a change jar you or I don't see it. I also know a guy who researches and hunts only OLD places, usually the house and everything around is long gone. He finds 45-50 coins a year because he wants the buttons and other relics. What he does find is old copper and silver, and very little clad is any. He chooses what and how to hunt, not us! You like clad and I see no problem and I see no problems with people who don't want to take their valuable time digging clad when they desire old coins or relics. I doubt anyone who finds a quarter or nickel will throw them away. One thing you have a hard time believing is silver. You doubt when people post silver and have great counts. I'm not sure if its because your silver counts are low(hunting newer type Parks) or you can't see how it could be. Ten percent of all coins ever minted are lost and that includes ALOT of sliver!! I have done and seen amazing silver amounts dug day after day by people. Some people know a guy from St Louis named Mike Moultry, he used to have awesome totals in the 700 silver coins a year range, found them hunting with people or hunting by himself. I do believe people do find silver almost every time they go out and those that research do even better than most. You make that DFX sing and I believe 11,000 coins this year is what you will find if not more. But there are going to be people who will dig 300 silver this year as well. Shame you don't live close where I could take you to a few places where your DFX would be singing that silver tune.

And Captain Jack, if you hit three kiddie parks and came up with zero, next time turn the darned detector on and you might get lucky! :o ;D

Thats funny about Captain Jack ;D but i have had days like that! :( I am not saying people are not finding silver....I was just trying to motivate some people who could easily improve their clad numbers by putting in just a little effort. I have returned to the stock coil to get deeper also to penetrate the dry ground better.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Lasivian said:
DFX-Gregg said:

Wow, that might pay half my yearly battery bill! heh

captain Jack said:

I had the same happen to me at my last park. Nothing anywhere, the sand didn't even have junk targets in it.

But it was a big heavily traveled park. The little park the day before found me 8$ in clads and a silver ring. I think the big places attract the most hunters.

From now on i'm hitting the places less traveled, little parks, schools, churches, libraries, grassy areas around government buildings, etc.

I think that is another problem with low end detectors, my detector came with a rechargable battery pack, I got an extra one and also the regulat battery pack. I always have a fresh rechargable pack ready to go...battery cost for me >>>0 But believe me I do under stand your point...how are these recharables that the battery makers have come out with? ??? Have you used them? Do they save you some $...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread