For those who prospect for gold I would like to ask a few questions please

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, would one day like to prospect for gold. I was wondering a few things like how you obtain a claim and how much does it cost? What kind of equipment and nessities are required besides a good detector? Once an area has been found that has gold in it do I get involved with a sluice? Can one make a living doing it? Do you get like an RV and just go out and squat on your claim? What about government land searching, can you do it legally or is there some kind of permit required? Sorry for all of the questions but have been wondering about this for a while and would really love to try it one day. Thanks in advanced, Tim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could just drop everything and do that but right now it is not possible. I am sorry to hear that about the guy who bought the salted gold property. I believe I would have to hunt the guy down and give him a little bit of attitude adjustment. Your right about researching areas yourself for location and such. Maybe one day it will be a dream come true but right now it is just not possible. Thanks for your input goldseeker4000. I did not know Montana had good gold producing areas. Have been looking into Georgia somewhat since it is closer and have even seen Alabama has got some gold also but I believe out west is where it is at here in the states. Alaska is probably even better. But will try to learn as much as I can and I really appreciate all of the advice that has been given on this thread I started. Thanks again, Tim

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chase the gold that's close to you--cut your teeth on it as you learn the ropes (double cliches :laughing7:).

(I believe Georgia has some respectable gold--stuff that doesn't mind showing itself in public--Dahlonega Gold Belt gold, for instance. I've never been, but read up on it a bunch of times.)

In my case, the gold closest to me, and easiest to get to is tiny, flour gold--stuff hammered into micron gold by the glaciers. Well, that's what I learned to pan out. And, if you can catch that stuff in the pan, well it's like your an Olympic athlete when you hit the bigger stuff. You've got all the skill in the world and now (because of the increased size of the gold--it's way too easy to pan--much like putting an Olympic athlete in a kid's game at school, just to see who'd win--there's no contest), and it's super easy to pan out the coarse stuff.

However, chasing the gold close to home has other advantages as well, it's close, it's cheaper to chase, and you''ll learn tons of other stuff about prospecting so that when you get the chance to head West--you'll be a level above the Olympics--you'll be a Pro!!

All the best,

Lanny

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
bigtim , yes Montana was a big gold producer inthe past. Alder Guch, Grasshopper creek, Last chance gulch, and Confederate Gulch are some of the bigger gold rushes in the lower 48. The largest nugget ever found in Montana weighed 16 pounds, around Helena, to the west. In this area I have heard of nuggets being found with a detector as large as 9 oz.

Apr 14, 2011
I was 13 when I lived in Foresthill, CA. Foresthill is outside of Auburn, CA and where there is a lot of Gold. I started looking for gold then. It was in the early 1980's when I was at the Middle Fork of the American River when I met some new miners, they were friends of mine from elementary school in Los Angeles, they had a 4" surface and 7" underwater Keene dredge. We found a lot of gold then and I was good at locating the gold. I just had a natural understanding where the gold would be.

Today I am back in the hobby. I have a pan, sluice, and metal detector. It is a cheep one, but until I find the good one I will use it. Again it is just a hobby and I am there for the exercise and the peace of mind the wilderness can bring you. I have lived a very stressful life. I am lucky that today I have an income that allows me to take off when ever I want and do as I wish. I was gambling for fun but burned out on that.

Last weekend I found myself on the old Foresthill Road sitting there talking to a local hawk and got some good advice from him. He said don't fight the wind go with it and soar high because the things down below can't get you up here. So last weekend brought a lot of peace of mind to me.

I am really looking forward to this hobby and so excited to start. I don't expect to get rich, but then I am very good at finding gold.

Which me luck guys.

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I would do is look into the different types of prospecting then look at the areas you're interested in and do some research to determine if panning, sluicing,dredging , drywashing or detecting is a option there then decide from there what you want to do and where. I would study up on prospecting before you ever head out so you'll know what to expect. There are alot of prospecting videos on youtube that you can watch and learn from.

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
value of gold right now is $47.90 a gram when gold reaches $1490 an ounce.

I don't know about you guys but I would like to leave the guesswork up to someone else if I can. I'm going to join a club.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again for everyones response on this thread I have started. Got a few books off of ebay about finding gold.
Successful Nuggett Hunting, Gold Panning is Easy by Roy Lagal and Hunting for Gold. I have enjoyed reading all of this stuff about hunting and have learned a few things too. I believe I am going to research some more about Coker Creek here in east Tennesse since is seems to be the closest gold producing area near me except for maybe Alabama. Probably going to invest in a gold pan kit of some sort soon and learn to pan. Anyways for those that may be looking to purchase the Successful Nugget Hunting book, I found it interesting to read but I feel it leaned alot towards Australia and was a little disappointed in that. Otherwise it has some good info in it about searching old tailings and there are some areas listed in the back with maps and directions in AZ and CA on where to look for gold but since the book was written in 1991 I am not sure if all of these areas would still be available. It has a small section about finding meteorites in it but again it just gives a brief discription about the subject. On the Gold panning is easy book I am almost finished with it and it does lean toward Garretts line of products(which is ok since they published it and make great machines) but it is a good informative book written for the beginner gold panning and talks some about the use of detectors also while searching for gold. I found it interesting and kind of know the how to's about gold panning now thanks to this book. The other book called Hunting for Gold and I have not received it yet as it is still on the way but as soon as it comes and after I read it I will post my thoughts on it here on this thread for those who may be interested in that particular book. Thought I would share my thoughts on this as some of you may have been thinking about getting one of these books for yourself. Holler at ya'll later, Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread