Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My profile signature notes my oldest "US coin" as a 1798 Draped bust LC that I found in 2015. Then this year I found a 1787 Mass State Copper. Both are pictured below. My understanding is that State Coppers were not "official" US coins, and that the US mint didn't start producing coins until 1792-1793. But yet the State coppers were of course minted in the US and widely accepted at the time as early US coinage.

So....have I found my earliest "US coin" or not? I could really care less either way and am only throwing this out for debate to the experts because I'm bored and can't detect today...it's 5 degrees with 6 inches of fresh snow on the ground!

Attachments

• Nov Mass 2.jpg
    Nov Mass 2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DB Front.jpg
    DB Front.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I ever find a Mass state copper, I would call that my oldest US coin. State coppers are US coins, period.

When people ask me what's my oldest coin, I usually say it's a KGII (no date), but my oldest US coin is a 1798 large cent. I think most US coin collectors are more interested in US coin finds. You can find a KGII in many countries, but try finding a Mass copper or a LC in the UK! Probably not gonna happen...

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The back of the coin looks like a Mass. 1787/88 Cent/Half Cent ,but the front is completely different as is the date...i`ll just watch !
Gary
Picture 148.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr. Digger

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The back of the coin looks like a Mass. 1787/88 Cent/Half Cent ,but the front is completely different as is the date...i`ll just watch !
Gary

Sorry if I confused with my pics....those are both of the coins. One is the Mass Copper and the Other is the Draped Bust.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sorry if I confused with my pics....those are both of the coins. One is the Mass Copper and the Other is the Draped Bust.

Then can you put the front and the back of the Mass Copper ? Good pix/photos BTW.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are two very nice old copper recoveries!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's minted in America, then it's an American coin. I agree with FreeBirdTim that state coppers are American coinage, even though they are not official "American" coins. Anyways, those are both some amazing coins! Great Finds :icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I'd call it a great early American coin. :thumbsup: Makes me want to get out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread