foreign coins, any place to trade them in?

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Wells Fargo's have a foreign exchange tellers :icon_thumright:

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
StevoCBR said:
Some Wells Fargo's have a foreign exchange tellers :icon_thumright:

i once asked, and they said something about how they only deal with foreign currency...not coins...idk...u could ask again just to be sure tho...keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

db23

Mar 18, 2011
Consider it an investment in a slightly less unstable currency? I've found ~20 Euros and ~10 GBP in the last 2 weeks. I think someone was on vacation recently!

To my knowledge, you can only exchange paper money over here.

OP
OP
D

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
db23 said:
Consider it an investment in a slightly less unstable currency? I've found ~20 Euros and ~10 GBP in the last 2 weeks. I think someone was on vacation recently!

To my knowledge, you can only exchange paper money over here.

ya that is what i read... so thought maybe if i posted someone would have some experience in doing this... to me it is cool to have foreign coins, especially from countries you been to, but to have like a shoe box full is over board LOL... and i rather get some USD out of it...

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've several hundred foreign coins from about 3 dozen countries. I keep anything that isn't Canadian. If you want, you can put them on ebay or Craigslist as a lot and they can sell for more than face. No one here will take the coins, too much money to ship them back.

HH
-GC

OP
OP
D

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
wellsfargo said the coins need to be rolled... so i was like how do i roll 5 bucks in canadian coins lol... grrr i would love to get something out of them...

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Got any friends on facebook or anyone you know in Canada period.
About a year ago I asked the head teller of a bank what they did with foreign coins, she said that if the catch it, they will return them to the customer, otherwise they put them in a small box and when the box gets full, they throw them away!!!! All their damaged coins and tokens and stuff go into the same box. So I asked her what they would take for this box.
She didn't give me an answer, so I said what if I give you $10 to put toward the company Christmas party? She said ok. In the box I got several steel cents, a badly scratched up Merc, a war nickel that had the observe ground off, an Indian head cent and lots of foreign coins, several tokens, a couple of stretch pennies, and other junk. There was over $14.00 in Canadian quarters, the Canadian total was just over $20, as there was several dimes, nickels and even a loonie. Euro coins, British coins, were common as well. Plus a handful from other nations.
I also got several dollars worth of US coins that just needed good soak to get the sticky stuff off them.
I guess I'm getting off topic, but if I had a friend up North I would send them a message and see what they say about a trade. You might not get full value, but you might get something for the ones you don't want. Also your local coin dealer might be able to direct you to a customer of theirs that collects different looking coins.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
dave5710 said:
Got any friends on facebook or anyone you know in Canada period.
About a year ago I asked the head teller of a bank what they did with foreign coins, she said that if the catch it, they will return them to the customer, otherwise they put them in a small box and when the box gets full, they throw them away!!!! All their damaged coins and tokens and stuff go into the same box. So I asked her what they would take for this box.
She didn't give me an answer, so I said what if I give you $10 to put toward the company Christmas party? She said ok. In the box I got several steel cents, a badly scratched up Merc, a war nickel that had the observe ground off, an Indian head cent and lots of foreign coins, several tokens, a couple of stretch pennies, and other junk. There was over $14.00 in Canadian quarters, the Canadian total was just over $20, as there was several dimes, nickels and even a loonie. Euro coins, British coins, were common as well. Plus a handful from other nations.
I also got several dollars worth of US coins that just needed good soak to get the sticky stuff off them.
I guess I'm getting off topic, but if I had a friend up North I would send them a message and see what they say about a trade. You might not get full value, but you might get something for the ones you don't want. Also your local coin dealer might be able to direct you to a customer of theirs that collects different looking coins.

Hmmm gr8 idea im going to try it at all the banks that like me. I am regular in at least a dozen banks.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I gave some British 5 Pences to a guy that was visiting his girlfriend in Scotland. Thank God I got rid of a couple of those awful things. Those are my most unliked coin from searching dimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions