foreign coins

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I live 40 min for the Canadian border and see a lot of Canadian coins in 1, 5, and 10 cent rolls. I don't buy quarters often.
1 cent- up thru 1996 they were 98% copper, with a metal value of 2.5-3 cents.
5 cent- up thru 1981 they were 99.9% nickel which translate to a metal value of 10-11 cents.
10 cent coins were 80% silver until they change to 50% mid 1967, then they change to 99.9% nickel mid 1968 then they change to nickel plated steel around 2000.

I collect the one best example of ever year I can.
I keep all copper 1 cent, all nickel 5 cent and all silver dimes.

I find other foreign coins but not alot, I tend to keep those too unless they are very damaged.

HH!!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
azlegends said:
Lately I've been noticing that alot of banks in my area offer free currency exchange. This has lead me to thinking about crh'ing a foreign currency. Anybody have any experience with this?

"Free currency exchange" usually means paper money only...no coins. Most banks (yours may be different) will not exchange foreign coin.

Bentfork

Jan 4, 2010
Oklahoma
ArkieBassMan said:
azlegends said:
Lately I've been noticing that alot of banks in my area offer free currency exchange. This has lead me to thinking about crh'ing a foreign currency. Anybody have any experience with this?

"Free currency exchange" usually means paper money only...no coins. Most banks (yours may be different) will not exchange foreign coin.

Currency exchanges, free or not don't deal with coins. If you find one that does let me know. I have about 10000 yen in coins to dump.

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
I left my number with a few currency exchange places. Actually got a call (posted this a while back, but hope it helps) from a guy who had a box of foreign coins he acquired. Sold it to me for $20, it was full of silver canadian coins, also a silver mexican coin and a silver guatemalan coin. It was a shot in the dar, but ya never know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread