foreign coins

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind of foreign coins are in your collection?

Here's mine (off the top of my head):
A couple canadian nickles and dimes (and a bunch of pennies), an equadorian 10 cent piece, spanish 5 peseta piece, 5 cent euro coin (from greece?), 10 cent hong kong coin, 2 peseta mexican coin. I'll upload a picture of my collection when I get a chance. Its not that big but not that bad considering I'm just starting. I love having a job as a cashier, seen some very interesting coins in my drawer.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
1 - 1780 Theresa
1 - Florin Great Britain
1 - 1884 six pence
1 - 1959 Mexican Peso

Canadian

1 - 2011 $20 Canoe Canadian
2 - Dime 80%
1 - Half 80%

That is all my foreign Silver.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are off to a great collection and the fun way of finding them in the wild. I have all kinds of foreign coins. I have a lot of coins from Europe before they went Euro, however I do have a lot of Euros. Coins from Mexico. My youngest son spent a summer in England so he brought back a lot of coins. My oldest was in Korea, Kuwait and Iraq and brought some back. Some Canadian which just started popping up here. My best is one that I bought at a Flea Market - German pfenning with the swaztica (sp). I am sure we have other but those are the one I can think of at this time.

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention a penny from trinidad and tobago. Both my coworker and I found one each, from two different drawers, and a day or two apart. I found that interesting

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Too many foreign coins to name, but some of my favorites/most interesting (and most are not CRH finds) include:

1821 Farthing in high grade (very similar to my avatar, although not the exact coin)
Athenian Tetradrachm
Philip I double-denarius
Henry III penny
Edward I penny
Various cut short-cross pennies (1100s-1200s AD ish)
Victoria 1900 (LXIV) Crown
Various pre-'47 british minor coins (sixpence, threepence, shillings, etc.)
Various pennies ranging from Victoria-Elizabeth II
1996 25th anniversary of decimalization silver proof set (British silver proof sets are much less common than their US counterparts)
Plus various Canadian 80% silver and lots and lots of Cu-Ni stuff I've picked up from "junk box" hunting

Foreign coins are a great way to get bargains at auctions and even in dealer's "junk boxes" plus there are thriving collectors markets in many European countries similar to US coins where key dates can go for $$$$, although when compared to US coins condition is very important and age much less so.

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine is on WCG, have 1589 coins. Website is by logon only, and copying it would make this post waaaay too long. Attachment won't attach for some reason.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far i found all most 16 lbs some are pretty cool. I find most of them in the coin counters. Some are very old.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
So far i found all most 16 lbs some are pretty cool. I find most of them in the coin counters. Some are very old.

Can you PM me about them? I would like to know what you have, I can id it, and give the value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread