Forest Preserve Hunting

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
I have been hunting the CCFP lately and have a question for you local guys/gals.
Whent hunting the Preserves do you stay close to the older paths or just wander around aimlessly?
I did a 5 hour hunt yesterday in Bachelors Woods, Tinley Park and found 13 cents in one spot next to an old path and a wheat cent close to an older cement foundation. Other than that just a few shotgun shells and a bunch of area with old bottles.
When I come across an area with old bottles should I focus on doing a grid in that area or just keep wandering around aimlessy through the woods?
I realize a lot depends on the preserve or locations but is there a rule of thumb you follow?
Do you folks look for low lying areas or stay close to creeks or paths?
Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Makton

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find most of my stuff just off of the trails, but I also do my fare share of wandering around. While wandering, I descovered an old trail where I found 10 wheats an a merk. I say walk amlessly when you start and do the trail when you coming back. You never know, you might stumble accross an old camp site with some old coins.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Wandering aimlessly has it's rewards, but not in finds usually. Try getting an idea of what went on in the FP you're hunting and when and where it happened there. Some of the guys here have had some degree of luck in the old boyscout camp at the FP they visited regularly, but they knew where to look. I look for old homesteads and farms, picnic areas and the like in old papers, maps, etc. before I look for old coins.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Wander aimlessly.
Enjoy.

It's just amazing the things you will come across.

have a good un...........
SHERMANVILLE

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the link that Lowbatts posted http://www.isgs.uiuc.edu/nsdihome/webdocs/ilhap/county/ to find out the lay of the land back then. I look for clearings that are overgrown now and I personally always follow rivers or creeks near paths. People usually drop things when they stop to sit down so look for potential picnic or rest areas or fishing spots. I've found that alot of woods are more densley wooded now then back then. I assume people cut the wood for heating and other things back then, also People used the same areas then as now so searching along the tree line or a couple of feet in the trees might be good because they usually don't sod or fill the wooded spots. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread