Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Forget Me Not" Thimble and a great discovery

First picture is of a Thimble found this evening, can any of you tell me anything about the date of this item?
Next, my great discovery is that I finally found out how to use my camera correctly to get some great close-ups. Please bear with me because I am going to re-post my best coin finds this year and yeah, I should be putting them in the other category. 1847 Large Cent, 1854 Seated dime, 1865 IHP and a 1904 Barber quarter.

101_1788.jpg

101_1796.jpg

101_1798.jpg

101_1805.jpg

101_1808.jpg

Upvote 0

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Re: "Forget Me Not" Thimble and a great discovery

Oh man, those are some great coins!! I want a seated coin so baaad!!

Good job!

Ray

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6

Wah, you are the man. I can't hold a candle to those. Going to post my finds from the school from over the past 10 days. again really very, very nice digs. I'm envious! Soory I can't help with the thimble. Not my forte. :thumbsup:

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like finding them old thimbles myself! I like them old silvers and coppers. You have to be in the same area as I am. I found some good finds in Battle Creek on Dickman road project this summer and my best silver find (1867S seated half) I found in Upjohn park here in Kalamazoo.

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Super Cool! :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Without handling it, the thimble will be difficult to date. Its a phase which has been used for many years. It was popular in the late Victorian period. However, it was used in times of War like WWI & WWII as a reminder to a Loved one. So take your pick.

If it were silver then it would be easy.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good job on the pictures, you are almost there, a few more pics and you will be able to take a great macro. Congrats on the silver coins. The thimble does look silver, probably would have a hallmark inside if you can see inside it? Looks to be late 1800s to early 1900s. What is the word on the thimble? If it is an advertisement, probably aluminum but you should notice the weight difference. HH, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bavaria Mike said:
Good job on the pictures, you are almost there, a few more pics and you will be able to take a great macro. Congrats on the silver coins. The thimble does look silver, probably would have a hallmark inside if you can see inside it? Looks to be late 1800s to early 1900s. What is the word on the thimble? If it is an advertisement, probably aluminum but you should notice the weight difference. HH, Mike

I think the clue is in the title ;D

OP
OP
Wallhangers

Wallhangers

Jul 28, 2008
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, T2 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The thimble is actually copper or brass, no marks on the inside. It was actually smashed down so I can only see part of the inside of it. Thanks for your help.
CRUSADER said:
Without handling it, the thimble will be difficult to date. Its a phase which has been used for many years. It was popular in the late Victorian period. However, it was used in times of War like WWI & WWII as a reminder to a Loved one. So take your pick.

Thanks for that information Crusader. I like trying to date some of my finds if possible.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wallhangers said:
The thimble is actually copper or brass, no marks on the inside. It was actually smashed down so I can only see part of the inside of it. Thanks for your help.
CRUSADER said:

Thanks for that information Crusader. I like trying to date some of my finds if possible.

I think we all like to date stuff :) A thimble collector maybe able to tell by the lettering (style of)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread