Forgot I had found this out metal detecting 6 months ago.

Ashman

Apr 11, 2012
Sun City Cali
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro & F75-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the title says “Forgot I had found this out metal detecting 6 months ago”. This was before my wife had asked me to help her get rocks for our flower bed, which has turned me on to this never ending quest to find amazing rocks and crystals.

Someone must have just tossed it out, not sure why, it is a really pretty specimen. You can tell someone had machine cut it on the one side.

But seeing this has me wondering. How does someone spot a Geode on the ground?

I have heard that they can typically be more rounded then most rocks but that is about it. From the pictures online that I see, that is not always the case, maybe in a perfect world they are.

Purple Crystal 1.jpg - Purple Crystal.jpg

Does anyone have or know of a good website that can help better explain what to look for when it comes to spotting a Geode laying on the ground?

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
Nice amethyst.
Kind of looks like the amethyst from Creede.
Not necessarily from a "geode" could be from a vug. Have seen pictures of amethyst lined vugs that were big enough for two miners to sit inside. Helped move an amethyst specimen that was 8 ft x 4 ft.
Only been out once looking for geodes. Had a couple of samples from the same area to use as examples. I never found any so I am definitely no expert.
The only people I ever knew that could spot a geode had picked up and busted thousands of rounded rocks to get to that point.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best way to find geodes is to go to where they have been located before. They typically are rounded and often show chalcedony banding on the outside or have an agate appearance. After you find a suitably round rock with these features you just have to crack or cut them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread