Forrest Fenn Freudian Slip of the tongue? Buried treasure or not?

servantofone

Greenie
Jun 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may have been discussed before, but I just happened across this video, so forgive me if I'm rehashing.

Forrest Fenn always says that he never said the treasure was buried (and never said it wasn't either), but...

Is this a Freudian Slip of the tongue at 34m 16s of the video below? No one led him into using the word "buried" here, and if you knew you didn't bury the treasure, how likley are you to slip up and say "buried" if you actually set it on the ground and walked away?

He quickly corrects it...

https://youtu.be/8RzrIu3hMec?t=34m16s

The next part of my theoy is more difficult to explain without rambling, but try to follow me.

If people start assuming the treasure is buried but it isn't, and you didn't want that to be a clue, what's the point of correcting people?
If you never said it and people assume it INCORRECTLY, it's still not a clue, it's a red herring.

But, if people assume it is buried and IT REALLY IS, now it's a clue born out of an assumption that's CORRECT. So the fact that everyone assumes it's buried starts narrowing things down a bit. So now correcting people, saying you never said that, attempts to keep things open a bit more.

I feel like scenario #2 is more likely. The treasure really is buried, so there's more of a reason to tell people he never said that, so people don't get a free clue for nothing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

servantofone

Greenie
Jun 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On another note, FF has also said: "the person who finds the treasure will have studied the poem over and over, and thought, and analyzed and moved with confidence. Nothing about it will be accidental..."

It's difficult to rule out the accidental discovery of a treasure that lies in plain sight, no matter how remote.

However, if it is buried in a remote part of the Rockies, one could fairly assume that no one will ever find it unless they did so intentionally.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I believe at some point he said that the sun shines on it though. ANd that is it NOT buried. I'm pretty sure I've heard that.

OP
OP
S

servantofone

Greenie
Jun 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe at some point he said that the sun shines on it though. ANd that is it NOT buried. I'm pretty sure I've heard that.

Thanks for the response! I've heard a lot of people say it's not buried, but I've never found an actual reference to something he said.

However, I hadn't ever heard the "in the sun" quote, which I just found:

"Which is best? Laying on the ground on a treasure chest, your bones rotting in the sun or laying in a hospital room with tubes down your throat and your nose and machines everywhere? People running out watching you all the time. Which would you rather have?" -http://dalneitzel.com/2017/02/28/moby_dickens/

That's a pretty strong argument; however, it still doesn't preclude him from deciding to bury the treasure in the same spot he originally intended to die with it. He's only said that it was in the same location, right? Not necessarily that he didn't bury it at the same location he originally intended to die with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions