FoRs Gold Vibration Sensitivity? Large coil?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Plans are in the works so I can purchase a decent gold machine,
and the FoRs Gold is my first choice. I really like what I've seen
in the pics others have posted about their finds. The FoRs machine
also has a unique feature that may be very helpful for me.

My last gold machine was the Gold Bug Pro, and while I really liked
it's performance, I had to use Black Widow headphones in order to
hear the fainter tones. Ya see, I'm 100% deaf in one ear and the
other ear gets worse every month, but the FoRs has a vibration
feature they market as being helpful to the deaf and hard of hearing.

Those of you with the FoRs units, have you tried out the vibration
feature? If so, how did it's sensitivity compare to the fainter sounds
you could hear in the headphones? Does the strength of the vibration
change with the size, depth of the object?

I could probably get away with using headphones, most days, but
there are days I can't hear diddly (it's episodic), and then that vibration
mode will be a trips salvation.

Planning on buying the Pro package with the add'l coils. I had a
5" on the GBPro, but never had a chance to try the elliptical coil.
The FoRs also comes with a 15.5 x 13.3 sized coil....where or
what situation would you want to use this larger coil? Anybody
tried it yet? Performance?

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the vibration mode, on a borrowed unit, about a dozen times and it is extremely sensitive to small gold. Posted pics of finds months ago and was impressive and a fantastic addition to any machine. Hopefully Cal Gold will chime in as he was one of the first testers to get the machines throughout prototype tests-John

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dizzy, for what it is worth, I don't own one but I did beach test on the fors core and found the vibration mode to be quite sensitive, even to tiny targets.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Dizzy

Yes the vibration feature is a great tool especially for people with hearing problems or areas with alot of ambient noise. The vibrations are atuned to size of target. But it is quite impressive how good it hits on tiny gold. The vibration adjust from 1-5 . 1 is the strongest. When you detect a target with 1 sens. In vibrate. The vibration pulse is stronger and the duration is longer. So when you detect a target the pulse duration while swinging will seem like a horshoe size target on a small target. So adjusting the sens. Down will shorten the pulse duration. It will still be strong on a tiny piece of gold even on 1 sens. But the pulse will be a short bump feeling. Its really personal preference on the setting. The vibrate feature will actually detect targets a hair deeper then the audio signal. Also with the audio signal, you can adjust the tone of the target signal from a bass sounding response to a high pitched response. Some people hear different tones better. So you can try that too. The vibrate feature will respond to ground signals just as the audio signals does. But most ground noise signals dont repeat the signal each swing. So a repeatable vibrate response is a metal target. Just have to check your target id then. I run my fors gold in boost mode at most places so if im using vibrate and im getting too many ground signals, just back the sensitivity down 5 at a time, till it mellows out. I tend to run my sensitivity at 80-85 most places. And turn down my id mask to around 5. It will detect the tiny stuff better when you turn down id mask. But it can increase ground noise. So depends on the situation if I turn it down from 10 to 5.
Good luck

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Dizzy

Yes the vibration feature is a great tool especially for people with hearing problems or areas with a lot of ambient noise. The vibrations are attuned to size of target. But it is quite impressive how good it hits on tiny gold. The vibration adjust from 1-5 . 1 is the strongest. When you detect a target with 1 sens. In vibrate. The vibration pulse is stronger and the duration is longer. So when you detect a target the pulse duration while swinging will seem like a horseshoe size target on a small target. So adjusting the sens. Down will shorten the pulse duration. It will still be strong on a tiny piece of gold even on 1 sens. But the pulse will be a short bump feeling. Its really personal preference on the setting. The vibrate feature will actually detect targets a hair deeper then the audio signal. Also with the audio signal, you can adjust the tone of the target signal from a bass sounding response to a high pitched response. Some people hear different tones better. So you can try that too. The vibrate feature will respond to ground signals just as the audio signals does. But most ground noise signals don't repeat the signal each swing. So a repeatable vibrate response is a metal target. Just have to check your target id then. I run my fors gold in boost mode at most places so if im using vibrate and im getting too many ground signals, just back the sensitivity down 5 at a time, till it mellows out. I tend to run my sensitivity at 80-85 most places. And turn down my id mask to around 5. It will detect the tiny stuff better when you turn down id mask. But it can increase ground noise. So depends on the situation if I turn it down from 10 to 5.
Good luck

John, TH, CG...thanks Gent's for the good info!

CG...I couldn't have asked for more...many thanks. I didn't know that the
target tone was that adjustable, and if it is I may be able to tune it to
a sound on the other end of the spectrum from the tinnitus.

FoRs Gold is the only machine on the market with a sensitive vibrator
built right in, and I have no doubt about it's performance based on the
number (and size) of gold that CalifGold's been findin'.

Now I just gotta wait a few weeks till the funds arrive..
americanasmiley.gif~original

Not much in the way of nuggets in my area, so the odds are I'll be doing
some searching of old logging camps, etc. and then plan trips down into
N. Cal. and Nevada. So. Cal and Ariz are just too far of a drive unless I'll
be staying somewhere for a couple weeks.

californiagold

Aug 7, 2014
California goldfields
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer, Nokta Fors gold plus, Makro racer2, Nokta fors gold, minelab gpx5000, fisher gold bug pro and many many others
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where do you live dizzy . Is there any gold in your area?

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where do you live dizzy . Is there any gold in your area?

There is gold here, but it is mostly gold left behind by the glaciers,
and it's typically in the 50-80 mesh range. Did some nugget shooting
with the GBPro when I had it, but had no luck. I've never seen a
nugget of any type come out of this area, but I've no doubt there
is a few around...finding them it a problem though.

You can't just hike through the forests up here like you can down
in Calif. Blackberries, devils club and a host of other plant life in the
dense rainforest make it awful challenging. There are a few old logging
camps I want to hit up, but even they can be difficult for me to get to.

I love the wide open deserts of N. Nevada where a guy can hike for hours
and never get stopped by the terrain. I like the country in N. Calif. also,
am looking forward to my first trip down there with the new machine. Hoping
someone will take me under their wing and at least point me in the right direction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread