Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i still don't understand what ft ancient sites mean
are these similar sites or are they a group of sites ?
i am not gonna try to go to find these, i just want to know are they only in one state or county or what?, just curious as these sites seem tto have artifacts that have a lot in common with the Arikara/Mandan cultures
i notice that my sites have:
lots of scrapers, not many knives
and the ft ancient sites have:
lots of knives, not many scrapers
now what?
thanky
lars

Upvote 0

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
ft ancient is a culture centered around the ohio river valley,in north eastern ohio we had whittlesy culture and sandusky culture in n west ohio,ft ancient was down in southern ohio around the ohio river,they were in the mississippian time period, same time frame as cahokia living along the the mississippi river

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Thanks for asking that question Larson. And for answering it Jeff. I too was at a loss until now. :)

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Great explanations. There are a cluster of different groups that were around and developing when Europeans and diseases started to impact their cultures. It's interesting to think about what these late groups might have become if they had another 100 years or so to develop. We might have had some really cool pyramids or something in Ohio and Mississippi river valleys.

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
Graphite golf club shaft, and my eyes
Have you ever been to Cahokia? Monks mound is as close to a pyramid as there is on the North American continent! You should Google it. Most photos are aerial to give you an ideal of the scope of the thing. I have climbed to the top and it was truly a wonderful site.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Sorry, I meant stone work type construction.

I've been to Cahokia a couple of times (as well as Spiro, Etowah, and several sites in Ohio, etc.) and looking at that as a starting point I wonder where they could have gone with another hundred years or so... At Spiro and a few other sites the mounds had hollow central chambers where people could have stood up and walked around which is a huge jump in technology from earlier mounds.

Also, there are lots of pyramids on our continent, it's just that all of them are south of the border... (But still in North America.) :)

Buckhunter said:
Have you ever been to Cahokia? Monks mound is as close to a pyramid as there is on the North American continent! You should Google it. Most photos are aerial to give you an ideal of the scope of the thing. I have climbed to the top and it was truly a wonderful site.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Attachments

• phpIxj7hcPM.jpg
    phpIxj7hcPM.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 526
  • phpAk7idOPM.jpg
    phpAk7idOPM.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 460

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Josh the "what if" is really insightful. Thirty, killer serrated triangles!
Chuck

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i am both thankful and glad that i asked about this
the images and info and links are all much appreciated
keep it coming
sincerely,
lars

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, here's an article I wrote on the Ft Ancient Culture for another web site I'm on. It explains quite a bit about the culture and shows artifacts I have found on my sites I hunt. Ft Ancient in southern Ohio coincides with the Mississippian Culture of the southeast US, the Monagahela of West Virginia, and the Erie of Northern Ohio and are also dated the same time as larsons site too.

http://www.arrowheadology.com/the-fort-ancient-culture-950-ad-to-1650-ad/

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other