Fort Carroll in Baltimore

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Its an island . You can see it from the Francis Scott bridge that crosses the Chesapeake Bay. It is privately owned and posted "no tresspassing" It looks like it is in poor shape.

OP
OP
AKiwi

AKiwi

Aug 4, 2005
Hastings, NZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500
Its seems a waste to let a piece of History sink into the bay.......

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think the fact that it had no prominant history plus the fact that it was overshadowed by Ft. Mc Henry had a lot to do with it's demise.

OP
OP
AKiwi

AKiwi

Aug 4, 2005
Hastings, NZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500
Thanks for that. There is nothing like a first hand account.
It may be just a ruin now, but to think that it would have be quite an undertaking to build that so long ago......
Thanks again

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just joined Treasurenet and found your post about Fort Carroll, I live in Fl now but 20 years ago I was in Pennsylvania.I had a boat that I kept moored in Inner Harbor. We used to cruise by the fort all the time. I also had a Zodiac for a tender. On a calm morning I told my neighbor at the Marina where I was going and if I wasn’t back by dark the fort was where to start looking. My Jack Russell and I loaded into the Zodiac and off we went. It took about an hour to get there. We pulled up to the entrance where in large letters painted on the wall Private keep off guard dog which was pretty scary. we pulled up behind the small landing dock so a passing boat could not see the dink, walked across a steel I beam and thru the main gate. The inside parade ground was completely overgrown. The inner walls had fantastic design, I think it was designed by Robert E Lee. Beautiful brickwork and arches. On the inside of the walls where the gun batteries would be stopped at each turn of the wall where you had to go up a spiral staircase to to roof then go down an other staircase to the next section so if a section of the wall was breeched they couldnt get to the next section. it was scary as sh!t. Sort of being in Dracula’s castle. There were rumors of giant rats being in the fort which didn’t help. When you were going up or down you could only see a few feet in front of you when it spiraled down into the bowels, wet , dark water dripping down the walls. We were looking for a opening in the southern wall of the basement where a supposed tunnel to the gun battery on the south shore was located I found on old charts of the harbor. I started down the stairwell first but my Jack Russell wouldnt follow me, and that little dog which was fearless wouldn’t go down so I went alone. When I got to the bottom the flashlight beam shined on a huge dead seagull that was ripped to pieces, all I thought about was the giant rats and I was out of there! Back to the Zodiac and the Marina.Took a bunch of pix but they have been lost in time. You can see it really good on Google Earth, you can even see the stairwell openings on the roof of the outer walls. It is privately owned and don’t understand why this is not restored. That trip was 5 stars in the cool category.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread