Fort Morgan, Alabama; any ideas?

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never hunted there but last summer we went to the public beach just before the fort. I didn't see any "no detecting" signs on the public beach but once you get to the border of the park the signs are posted. The public beach seems to be the only possibility. It was practically deserted when we were there which was a month or two before the hurricane hit. I think it would be worth a shot.

Good luck,

Kent

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
there is alot of stories of many treasures buried in this area....it has kind of run down in the past few years................storms messed up area pretty good too..........gldhntr

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
The fort is national park,, but the whole 20 something mile long penensula is not,, and there are many owners here that will let you search... Only problem I had was that the local police do not like you driving 91 miles an hour through the 35 mph zone through the S curves on ft morgan road......gldhntr

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
I am a newbie here. I know the Fort is off limits but after you pass the Fort and head towards the point is everything on the beach OK to search?

Thanks.

MichaelB

Silverhill, AL

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up near the Fort,it is very off limits but the whole area is full of history. As a kid we would find stuff on top of the ground and we took it for granite. It was a great place to grow up and I have heard family stories and pirate stories from old timers that make you want to dig up the whole place.Lots of Indian artifacts in the bay also. In some places at low tide you can really find a lot of stuff. The main problem is most of Fort Morgan rd is private property or fish and wildlife land and there are also lots of gators there so if you do get around waters edge around the swampy area keep your eyes open.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i spent quite awhile working in the area, once for 4 months, once for 7 months....i approached many of the private property owners along ft morgan road, and was given permission to search many properties along the 22 mile stretch.......i only searched a couple due to working hours though...most of the people were quite agreeable to the searches though.......i was down there last year after the storms, and there was a whole lot of debris due to the hurricane, so expect to dig alot of holes for trash.......one good note, an insurance adjuster there told me of many accounts of safes, small boxes, and other hiding place items that had been lost in the storms containing cash money, jewelry and such.....,, one of which was a small metal box with $10,000.00 in it.......these were not lies to collect from him because when i asked this same question, he responded that these items were not covered under his policys, and that the people had told him about it and told him how stupid they were not to have put it in the bank.....{in the bank all you have to worry about is sam stealing it}.........hope this helps.....................gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread