fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was fortunate to be able to visit Ft. Pulaski last Sunday for a brief time. I was a little disheartened because it was raining when I got there. But, the rain stopped shortly after getting out of the car and allowed me time to take a few pictures. I only had about an hour to walk around before i had to leave and when I pulled out of the park it started to rain again. Here are a few that I have resized. I will post some more if there is any interest.

Attachments

• Ft Pulaski 1.jpg
    Ft Pulaski 1.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 85
  • ft Pulaski 2.jpg
    ft Pulaski 2.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Ft Pulaski 3.jpg
    Ft Pulaski 3.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 90

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. What's the history of the fort?

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. What's the history of the fort?

It's a long story so here's the Reader's Digest version. Built in the 2nd quarter of the 19th century to guard the river approaches to Savannah, Ga. Seized by the Confederacy Jan. 1861. Laid siege to by Union forces April, 1862. First use of "experimental" rifled cannons by the Union fired on the fort from a mile away.
Exploding shells tore through the fort and threatened the main powder magazine. Fort Commander Olmstead feared for the lives of his men and surrendered only 30 hours after the bombardment began.
For some more reading try this site. Fort Pulaski | Tybee Island Online - Savannah's Beach

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread