Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you place your cursor over the "attachment" you will see that it references THIS SITE.

For whatever inexplicable reason, everything I posted is showing up as an "attachment".

Right click on the "attachment". Copy the link and paste it into a text editor to make sure the link is not to an offsite file.

Here is the actual location of the link (if the "CODE" function has been corrected):

Code:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1467736

Copy that and paste in a browser address bar and go to that link.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So, let's try Photobucket ...

DSCN0036_100_zpslct8owss.jpg

There's your image.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, Boogey. Just keep in mind when attempting to pull information from a zoomed in photograph, regardless of pixel size or configuration, one must be wary of seeing things that really aren't there...or missing the larger picture. One would be well advised to take several landscape size pics, then follow up with close ups of interesting features. It's difficult enough to diagnose a site with our bare eyes, without adding mental clutter and confirmation bias to the mix...which is always a stumbling block when interpreting photographs alone, much less in a group setting.

And Excellent advice on EXIF PILOT. I would also add that you use similar applications on all Android devices, tablets, etc. Thank you! :icon_thumright:
Good point. I use a Nikon that was bought specifically because it was the easiest to shoot panoramas with. Don't know how many times I've gotten home and spotted things after stitching panoramas together. Sometimes you sit there and ask yourself Am I going blind or what. Some times I'll go back on my way out and re shoot the pics and find the lighting changed just enough to highlight something. Gotta love digital!!!! Don't have to wait to process your film, you can doo all kinds of stuff in the camera, and best of all you can see if you screwed up immediately.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point. I use a Nikon that was bought specifically because it was the easiest to shoot panoramas with. Don't know how many times I've gotten home and spotted things after stitching panoramas together. Sometimes you sit there and ask yourself Am I going blind or what. Some times I'll go back on my way out and re shoot the pics and find the lighting changed just enough to highlight something. Gotta love digital!!!! Don't have to wait to process your film, you can doo all kinds of stuff in the camera, and best of all you can see if you screwed up immediately.

Great choice, and advice, Boogey. Gotta love digital. :notworthy:

Now, if I may, I'd like to get back to the subject of this thread and address some thoughts on that stone previously posted. Just some food for thought I wanted to throw out there.

Could it possibly be an abrading/sharpening stone?

8e20497f0c17561e1d99286fe6cc0e3b--indian-artifacts-ancient-artifacts_zps7zpoxzjf.jpg

DSC00452_zpsdronnqss.jpg

M00430-6_zpsgpcuihkh.jpg

Arkansas Native American sharpening stones....

Arkansas Novaculite: A Virtual Comparative Collection

:coffee2:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That I don't know, but it makes sense. Necessity is the mother of invention, and our First Peoples were very apt at using nature to their advantage. This may turn out to be a very significant site, in more ways than one.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great choice, and advice, Boogey. Gotta love digital. :notworthy:

Now, if I may, I'd like to get back to the subject of this thread and address some thoughts on that stone previously posted. Just some food for thought I wanted to throw out there.

Could it possibly be an abrading/sharpening stone?

8e20497f0c17561e1d99286fe6cc0e3b--indian-artifacts-ancient-artifacts_zps7zpoxzjf.jpg

DSC00452_zpsdronnqss.jpg

M00430-6_zpsgpcuihkh.jpg

Arkansas Native American sharpening stones....

Arkansas Novaculite: A Virtual Comparative Collection

Interesting indeed.
Ouch. Now I'm pounding the square peg in the round hole. Though ,I have looked over old tenon joints in beams that did just so with the end driven in first tapered ...that outlasted the rest of the structures integrity.

A couple of your pics suggest ( to my unqualified view) having been incised. Lines don't seem to join enough to draw a blade edge uniformly enough to keep it straight edged during a sharpening process.
The bottom pic shows (?) Enough of a " pass/ draw" to work material into a crude edge ,but if not shaping by reduction a piece of barrel stave ,or slate or similar material...the right angle would not ( again ,my view) allow actually putting a cutting edge on a blade.

Side note : farther north one group of natives in recent times use files and only sharpen one edge of their steel blades, so what do I really know of how others sharpened things beyond my own sharpening experience?
( Ya, I've had about enough coffee,almost.)

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting indeed.
Ouch. Now I'm pounding the square peg in the round hole. Though ,I have looked over old tenon joints in beams that did just so with the end driven in first tapered ...that outlasted the rest of the structures integrity.

A couple of your pics suggest ( to my unqualified view) having been incised. Lines don't seem to join enough to draw a blade edge uniformly enough to keep it straight edged during a sharpening process.
The bottom pic shows (?) Enough of a " pass/ draw" to work material into a crude edge ,but if not shaping by reduction a piece of barrel stave ,or slate or similar material...the right angle would not ( again ,my view) allow actually putting a cutting edge on a blade.

Side note : farther north one group of natives in recent times use files and only sharpen one edge of their steel blades, so what do I really know of how others sharpened things beyond my own sharpening experience?
( Ya, I've had about enough coffee,almost.)

Granted, I wondered myself at first. The grooves are not uniform enough to allow a cross pass...as for a blade, sword, etc.. But when sharpening arrow points, a short pass/stroke would be the preferred method, I would think. Even a chert blade would use a shorter pass, with final pressure concentrated on the tip...creating the concave appearance in the center of the sharpening stone. But again, that's only a supposition on my part. It would no doubt require an expert far more experienced than I to make that call.

Yep, I may be pounding, too, RC. It could all be my storyteller's imagination....conjuring up images of fire lit ceremonial blades and a symbolic 'slaying' of the horned serpent, taking its power by cutting off the gleaming jewel from its forehead. Touches something tribal in my soul.

Think I'll join you with the coffee...share a cup?

:coffee2::coffee2:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then again....maybe Albert Pike had that same vision, eh?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tough way to sharpen on the fingers joints and tendons...Bringing a large tool to the work would be easier if small work was secured first. Maybe it was and your pics pieces were considered ergonomic enough.

Lithic material has been hardened under fires deliberately ,so maybe softer material was worked easier first.
To use your pics for sharpening It still seems like non flint polishing type work. A muskrat iron spear point or iron fish hook , maybe sure.
Knapped piece touch ups are tiny pressure flaked. ( Unless I'm involved by breaking things rather than creating art).
Bound to a shaft or handled small iron or steel pieces or clamped in a split of wood could be much easier to abrade. On the hands anyway if involved repetitively.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beats me, Rel, those pics are from known native sharpening stones I took from the web as examples for consideration only. Can't endorse anything myself at this point, don't have the expertise. But you make some valid points.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Granted, I wondered myself at first. The grooves are not uniform enough to allow a cross pass...as for a blade, sword, etc.. But when sharpening arrow points, a short pass/stroke would be the preferred method, I would think. Even a chert blade would use a shorter pass, with final pressure concentrated on the tip...creating the concave appearance in the center of the sharpening stone. But again, that's only a supposition on my part. It would no doubt require an expert far more experienced than I to make that call.

Yep, I may be pounding, too, RC. It could all be my storyteller's imagination....conjuring up images of fire lit ceremonial blades and a symbolic 'slaying' of the horned serpent, taking its power by cutting off the gleaming jewel from its forehead. Touches something tribal in my soul.

Think I'll join you with the coffee...share a cup?

:coffee2::coffee2:
Arrow head sharpener looks to be a good fit. Look at the one with the dimple. The groove at 10 o clock would work real nice to hone an edge. Compare it to pics of guides to sharpen wood chisels etc. Now you got me thinking it's an all purpose tool to sharpen, grind off the heavy side to balance the arrow head etc. Thoughts?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Arrow head sharpener looks to be a good fit. Look at the one with the dimple. The groove at 10 o clock would work real nice to hone an edge. Compare it to pics of guides to sharpen wood chisels etc. Now you got me thinking it's an all purpose tool to sharpen, grind off the heavy side to balance the arrow head etc. Thoughts?

The tool had to be made before using it / chicken or egg?
Cutting stone takes effort ....and the rule of the cutting tool being harder than the object being cut.
Pecking and abrading had a place due to efficiency.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Orangeman did finally post both photos of the stone, side by side.

Thank you Orangeman.

That is the first time I've seen the one that is squared up with the pic frame, other than from NWAHER's email and then from the thread.

Now the mystery remains as to how it got into her file...

She didn't know it was attached to her email.
I say that because, she couldn't find the pic that I recommend that she should post until I pointed it out.

At this point it is clear that the stone was and is, only one stone and that the pic that I saw in her file had to be picked up electronically... but how?

I don't remember ever having seen that image, unless it was deposited on my thread some time back.
I'll check it out and get back... this may become embarrassing!?!?!??

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, in that case then, it would appear I've gotten the cart in front of the horse, haven't I? First time that has ever happened. :tongue3: :laughing7:

Shall we get back to Nwaher's seriously interesting site then? Can't wait to hear more about what she's found. :icon_thumright:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to give credit to Orangeman for both pics.

And I don't have it on my thread.

So let's move forward with some new stuff!!!

OP
OP
Nwaher

Nwaher

May 3, 2017
Fayetteville Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK well I want to give him credit too but man how did that image get with my stuff when that copy wasn't even on your thread and the mystery thinkers soon want some more pictures guys????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread