Forum censorship

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
Hello fellow Forumers.
I wanted to mention about an experience I had recently that highlights how some forums are managed.

I have been a member at another forum who shall remain nameless for a few years now. I am a productive member there in the fact that I have posted finds, offered technical advice and used the classifieds a bit. I have owned several brands of detectors and have offered advice on all of the brands.

Part 1

Well recently, somebody posted that they felt their new DP machine was complete garbage. He perhaps could have worded his dissatisfaction a bit more professionally but that is beside the point. The 15 people who posted in response to him completely berated him and said that he must not know what he is doing because there is no way that DP puts out junk. I thought this guy was not getting a fair shake so I responded that I too bought the same DP machine as him this past spring. I said how my machine was sent back 3 times for not working. Each time I got great service from DP. Every time they said that it had "broken wires" I went on to say that after the third time I insisted that I be sent a new machine which DP honored. When I got the new DP machine, I tested it to be sure it worked then promptly sold it. I also said that it is funny to me how when somebody has a bad experience with a machine that people who like them automatically think the person is an idiot.

Part 2.
I noticed that suddenly I can not see the DP section of this forum anymore. If I logged out then I could see the string but my post was deleted. I contacted the forum administrator with how I though this was wrong on account of I broke no forum rules. I was told that this is a commercial forum and DP is the moderator of the DP section. I then asked why the whole string wasn't deleted and the administrator told me that they are at liberty to skew the information however they want, it is their forum. They left the negative post and all the people dumping all over this guy because it clouds the fact that they might have some quality issues.

Just wanted to share this story and let people know that on some ther forums, it may appear to be unbiased but only of you say what they want you to.

Be careful of the information you read out there, it may be altered by manufacturers disguised as moderators

OP
OP
vondrewvious

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
It tricks people into junk machines. You missed the point to not believe some forums when it come to finding out about machines that people want to buy

K

Kentucky Kache

SWR said:
um...that's not censorship my Friend...that's $ells

That's sales alright, but at the expense of being dishonest. I know that doesn't matter much anymore.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don't Judge other Forums & Appreciate you Not
Mentioning the Name. we all have our own rules.

But Yes here attacking a Sponser is Bad Buisness.

and attaking Members is Just as Wrong in my opinion.

OP
OP
vondrewvious

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
SWR said:
vondrewvious said:
It tricks people into junk machines. You missed the point to not believe some forums when it come to finding out about machines that people want to buy

I feel your pain, my Friend...and I do see your point. You just have to play by the rules when playing in their house :(
True True

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
This is a hobby to most of us and forums are businesses in the background, there is plenty of information to share as well as friendships to be had.

If the hobby became like office politics which is part of the background think I would look for a new hobby. Some things are best left as background noise. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions