Fossil horse bone

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20201205_145007.jpg
Horse bone found a couple years ago in a small creek near the Peace River in Florida. It has two indents made by an alligators teeth so it was a meal. Age unknown but horses became extinct thousands of years ago. It was found by my Paleontologist friend who identified it.

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean horses became extinct thousands of years ago? They are still around today.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean horses became extinct thousands of years ago? They are still around today.

Horses originally evolved in North America (the wild horse Equus ferus and several species of stilt-legged horse - notably Equus francisci and Equus calobatus) and progressively spread to Eurasia. But they became extinct is North America at the end of the last ice age around 10,000 to 12,000 years ago.

They didn’t reappear (as domesticated horses) until 1519 via Cortés on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico and a little later via De Coronado in New Mexico and De Soto in Florida around 1539-1540. Even then it took until the 1700s for them to spread throughout the North American continent. Bones from horses re-introduced by the Spanish conquistadores won't be fossilized or heavily mineralised.

That's a great find, newnam man.

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horses originally evolved in North America (the wild horse Equus ferus and several species of stilt-legged horse - notably Equus francisci and Equus calobatus) and progressively spread to Eurasia. But they became extinct is North America at the end of the last ice age around 10,000 to 12,000 years ago.

They didn’t reappear (as domesticated horses) until 1519 via Cortés on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico and a little later via De Coronado in New Mexico and De Soto in Florida around 1539-1540. Even then it took until the 1700s for them to spread throughout the North American continent. Bones from horses re-introduced by the Spanish conquistadores won't be fossilized or heavily mineralised.

That's a great find, newnam man.

Thank you red coat! Was a little confused there! Thanks for clarifying!

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember right early on they used to be very small as well, like a dog or goat size. Like the teeth marks adds another layer to its story

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out “Agate springs fossil beds” and “ashfall fossil bed. Both have horse and camels. I have family that ranch around agate springs. It is funny to see a horse skull the size of your hand. Agate also has some of the best artifacts from the days of fort Rob. Thats the fort were an indian guard stabbed crazy horse and he died soon after.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread