Fossil hunting

ghost

Mar 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I would like to know how one hunt fossils. I am going to Calvert Cliffs, MD next Wednesday
and am going to try a hand at it. I metal detect but this will be my first hunt for fossils. Do I just walk around the beach and eyeball the ground or what? I have a small shovel but no sand sifter.
Thanks.

Chisna

Mar 11, 2016
Olympic Peninsula
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you know that the beach you are going to is known to have fossils. Then yes, pretty much
walk the beach and eyeball the ground. If there are cliff's and slides. Carefully check the base of the slides.
That's what I do... And it seems to work pretty well. Before I lived near the ocean. I used to check out
limestone quarry's and outcrops. Good luck !

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A ghost hunting for fossils, hmmm.(just kidding). Good luck. I hope you do well. My fossil hunting is all done in river beds, so no advice for beaches. In the rivers I concentrate on the gravel bars, where I have noticed that similar sized items tend to collect together. Sometimes it seems as if I can sense them before I see them. It helps me to know what I expect to find. Like most things, it gets better with experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread