Fossil in the making or Indian artifact?

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on the edge of the river and plucked it out of the water. It is definitely bone. I can see porous material that may or may not be visible in the pictures. What's interesting is the scrape marks which are not very deep and the orangey discoloration that can be seen by the scraping. It would not do much if any tumbling in the river.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• P1090774 - side Copy.JPG
    P1090774 - side Copy.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 150
  • P1090771 - top Copy.JPG
    P1090771 - top Copy.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 118
  • P1090773 - bottom Copy.JPG
    P1090773 - bottom Copy.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 121

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Found this on the edge of the river and plucked it out of the water. It is definitely bone. I can see porous material that may or may not be visible in the pictures. What's interesting is the scrape marks which are not very deep and the orangey discoloration that can be seen by the scraping. It would not do much if any tumbling in the river.

Any ideas?

I don't recognize this object. My first impression was "cuttlebone," but that's just an impression, not an ID.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Turns out Harry its a celt bone.

Well, I don't know if it's a celt or not; but, it's not a "celt bone." I did see that you cross-posted these images into the artifacts forum. The ID you got there was "shell celt."

Shell celts are shaped from the thick shell of gastropods such as conchs and whelks, not from bone.

Perhaps you'll post more images of your object for a more confident ID.
shell_celt_pair.JPG shell_celt_pairB.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread