Fossil or artifact?

johnger1

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on a hillside by a radar tower. It's made of a course stone fragments and small peebles and resembles cement. It has a blueish hue to it which is consistant to the soil that it was found in.Its oval in shape and looks like a shallow bowl. Ideas?
DSC09063.JPG DSC09062.JPG DSC09064.JPG DSC09065.JPG

Attachments

• DSC09065.JPG
    DSC09065.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 311
Upvote 0

Pancake

Nov 27, 2012
Mass.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sorry to say but nothing about that looks like an artifact to me.

OP
OP
J

johnger1

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The surface of the rock has texture to it, which reminded me of something that had come out of a mold, or at least something similiar to cement that may have been worked while wet and then dried. That's just how I would describe the surface, nothing more. The composite of the object is consistant with the surrounding soil. The soil is similiar to what I've seen in arizona in the areas where mountains have eroded away. It's very course rock particles,lots of quartz, and very little organic matter. The other rocks in the area look like rocks. I had a couple of ideas. This area has been used by the military from WWI until the 1970's. There's a coastal gun battery 100 yards away and a former air force base radar station directly above it. There are enormous concrete pill boxes which once held 16" naval guns, nearby. During the 1940's, when Japan was supposed to invade the US, it was thought Los Angeles harbor, is where it would happen. They used alot of concrete back then, probably using the local rock as aggregate. Maybe this was made during that time period. Another thought is that the former locals, who used the basalt in the area to make bowls and things, made this. Lastly, it looked like some fossils that I've seen. I found fossilized shells in topanga canyon, preserved in mud, not the usual hard material and I thought maybe the same thing here.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like simple sandstone.
A conglomerate of natural material found in your area.
Happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread