Fossil preservation

Perico

May 29, 2012
A few months ago a conversation convinced me that I need to start preserving my fossils. I am about to preserve my glyptodon tooth. In the pictures you will notice gravel adhered within the grooves. I am apprehensive to remove it due to the fact that these teeth are very fragile. But if I do preserve it, the stones are permanent. What would you all do?

Attachments

• image-1750466295.jpg
    image-1750466295.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 94
  • image-2152669720.jpg
    image-2152669720.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 95

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually remember reading the same post. That second I looked at the bison tooth you actually traded me and saw sons cracking. I stabilized with crazy glue, but I think there are much better materials out there that you want to look at.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I think it's mostly an esthetic choice . . . unless you're going to make a mold of the tooth. Usually, I use a dental pick to remove bits of gravel from recesses in teeth; but, occasionally, I leave a few grains 'for character.' Even after you consolidate the tooth, you should be able to remove some of the grit from the tooth. You don't want a thick film of plastic over the surface of the tooth, after all.

The consolidant should be water-thin and should penetrate the dentin like water might. When you're finished, the tooth should look damp, not coated in a shiny plastic wrap. Nice tooth . . . show us the before and after images.

OP
OP
Perico

Perico

May 29, 2012
Thanks Harry. I'll do it soon and I'll repost pictures with the finished tooth.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be able to loosen the gravel with white vinegar and remove it without damaging the enamel.
Its a light acid.. So you'll want to rinse it well when done.
If you mix a little sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in the water it will neutralize the acid.
This is done with ocean found Megolodon teeth often.
Just picking off the material while in a hardened state will likely damage the enamel

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Thanks buddy, will get started soon.
You may be able to loosen the gravel with white vinegar and remove it without damaging the enamel. Its a light acid.. So you'll want to rinse it well when done. If you mix a little sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in the water it will neutralize the acid. This is done with ocean found Megolodon teeth often. Just picking off the material while in a hardened state will likely damage the enamel

For pete's sake! If it is already dry, do not wet this glyptodont tooth with vinegar or water. Doing so would risk expansion and splitting of the dentin (there is no enamel on xenarthran teeth). This was really bad advice.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez Harry I wasn't talking about soaking the entire thing.. I'm talking about wiping on a little bit of vinegar and water to soften the area slightly before taking off the piece instead of doing as you suggested which would likely tear off the section it's attached to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread