Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looked like a tooth or a horn to me, but I am in no way an expert. Any opinion is welcome.

It's about 4.75" long, has a rim at the top, some kind of a core material, and the length shows striations. The pointed end is asymmetrical.

horn 1.jpg horn 2.jpg horn 3.jpg horn top.jpg

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. It looks sort of like a powder horn that may have been lost, filled with sediment, the sediment hardened, and the powder horn, or sheath, or whatever then rotted. Does it seem like hardened sediment, or is it really rock?

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. It looks sort of like a powder horn that may have been lost, filled with sediment, the sediment hardened, and the powder horn, or sheath, or whatever then rotted. Does it seem like hardened sediment, or is it really rock?

It has the consistency of rock and not sand stone or something similar. The top section that has a rough texture does not crumble when rubbed.

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't look like a tooth, and horn doesn't preserve as a fossil. This appears to be a geofact . . . a water-sculpted sliver of limestone. I'd have picked it up, too.

Yes it is just as Harry has stated. A very cool stone for sure. I too would have picked it as well.
I have a special area where my "geofacts" are displayed.

Jess B.

I would consider it a "Specimen" of questionable nature.
When found it was a rock.
You took it home, now it is a specimen.

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so odd to me that a stone would be fashioned by natural forces to be like this. There are three distinct features; the inner "core", the distinct top rim that has a terture different than the other parts, the striations... odd.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Harry. The end has the appearance of calcified limestone.

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is crazy that it looks sort of like it was wrapped, and has the cap with the protrusion on top. There are a lot of coincidences for simply a funny shaped rock. Show it to a Geologist. Remember, I know nothing...

OP
OP
Ed-D

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is crazy that it looks sort of like it was wrapped, and has the cap with the protrusion on top. There are a lot of coincidences for simply a funny shaped rock. Show it to a Geologist. Remember, I know nothing...

I'm contacting friends to see about getting hooked up with either a Geologist or a Paleontologist. I already have some leads. We'll see...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions