Fought a tribe of Indians and captured a few including the BIG CHIEF...1877 Indian!!

Chuck Norris

Apr 17, 2017
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus Power!!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Howdy.....Chuck Norris here...its been over a month since my last adventure but I made up for it in a big way yesterday. Took a ride south to meet a few members of the WPP and we headed off to the woods....the same woods as before....the land of satanic bushes. Things are dying off a bit and we gave it a good work over.....we got attacked by a tribe of Indians but managed to come out with relatively no damage and even took a few hostages....including the the Chief.....1877!!!!

I'm sure you all want to see the picture right now....well, you'll just have to read the long winded post and goofy story that goes with it.......or just scroll down and look for the pic, either way is cool with me.

I got to the spot about an hour and half early and got a nice 1859 fatty Indian on my 3rd hole....well, that was easy......he didn't even put up much of a fight, couple quick karate chops and he surrendered. I continued to bumble around the underbrush knocking down the dying devil bushes and swinging under the remnants and pulled a few more finds including another Indian and Civil War era Navy cuff button that was smashed flat.....little did I know that I had just captured the chief..

I was sending my buddy JerseyDigger19 updates on the DTN....Detecting Text Network and he got pretty excited about that second Indian.....I didn't even really look at it...I saw it was 187? and chucked it (get it....CHUCKed it) in the treasure tin without much thought because who really thinks they're going to dig a 77...I sure don't. Took it out and gave it a closer inspection and things started to get interesting.......just then my friends showed up and we proceeded to pillage the forest and cause all sorts of devastation......

The finds were steady for the rest of the day....few flat buttons, a cool key, small sterling silver button, lead bag seal that says "Berlin", rosette, thimbles, a brass cherub, and all sorts of assorted doo-dads & house site stuff.....even managed to capture 2 more Indians....1890 & 1907. Honest Abe made an appearance but he got a punch in the nose and tossed in the pouch too.

Here's the keepers on the day....
IMAG5551_1.jpg
Closeup of the better stuff.....
IMAG5552.jpg
The Navy button.....
IMAG5561_1.jpg
And....drum roll please.....................the CHIEF
IMAG5557_1.jpg
IMAG5560_1.jpg
Its not perfect....the chief didn't go down without a fight...was probably close to a foot down in the sandy south Jersey soil and gave off a terrible signal...foily irony just plain crappy signal but it peaked here and there and I dig it all...a lesser man than Chuck Norris would have been defeated and scalped.

With all seriousness though...I am absolutely floored by this find....I guess after 20+ years I'm starting to finally get good at this detecting game. I'm still debating on whether to leave it be or try to clean it some more. I am worried that I would mess it up, Chuck Norris isn't known for being gentle. It has been a stellar year this year that I'm sure I can never top but I'm sure going to try and go down swinging.....literally.

Well, thanks for looking and keep on swinging

Upvote 36

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chuck, I've got to say that the Indian Head DOES have the WOW factor. I had to look it up, 852,500 minted, and as of 2015, in Good condition, listed for $595. You just never know when & where. It's what keeps us going. You had a VERY good day.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and interesting post. The '77 is a awesome save....Congrats !!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a great save, congrats on the /77

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post, assortment of goodies and the tribe of Indians was spectacular! Nice job!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy.....Chuck Norris here...its been over a month since my last adventure but I made up for it in a big way yesterday. Took a ride south to meet a few members of the WPP and we headed off to the woods....the same woods as before....the land of satanic bushes. Things are dying off a bit and we gave it a good work over.....we got attacked by a tribe of Indians but managed to come out with relatively no damage and even took a few hostages....including the the Chief.....1877!!!!

I'm sure you all want to see the picture right now....well, you'll just have to read the long winded post and goofy story that goes with it.......or just scroll down and look for the pic, either way is cool with me.

I got to the spot about an hour and half early and got a nice 1859 fatty Indian on my 3rd hole....well, that was easy......he didn't even put up much of a fight, couple quick karate chops and he surrendered. I continued to bumble around the underbrush knocking down the dying devil bushes and swinging under the remnants and pulled a few more finds including another Indian and Civil War era Navy cuff button that was smashed flat.....little did I know that I had just captured the chief..

I was sending my buddy JerseyDigger19 updates on the DTN....Detecting Text Network and he got pretty excited about that second Indian.....I didn't even really look at it...I saw it was 187? and chucked it (get it....CHUCKed it) in the treasure tin without much thought because who really thinks they're going to dig a 77...I sure don't. Took it out and gave it a closer inspection and things started to get interesting.......just then my friends showed up and we proceeded to pillage the forest and cause all sorts of devastation......

The finds were steady for the rest of the day....few flat buttons, a cool key, small sterling silver button, lead bag seal that says "Berlin", rosette, thimbles, a brass cherub, and all sorts of assorted doo-dads & house site stuff.....even managed to capture 2 more Indians....1890 & 1907. Honest Abe made an appearance but he got a punch in the nose and tossed in the pouch too.

Here's the keepers on the day....
View attachment 1500639
Closeup of the better stuff.....
View attachment 1500640
The Navy button.....
View attachment 1500641
And....drum roll please.....................the CHIEF
View attachment 1500642
View attachment 1500643
Its not perfect....the chief didn't go down without a fight...was probably close to a foot down in the sandy south Jersey soil and gave off a terrible signal...foily irony just plain crappy signal but it peaked here and there and I dig it all...a lesser man than Chuck Norris would have been defeated and scalped.

With all seriousness though...I am absolutely floored by this find....I guess after 20+ years I'm starting to finally get good at this detecting game. I'm still debating on whether to leave it be or try to clean it some more. I am worried that I would mess it up, Chuck Norris isn't known for being gentle. It has been a stellar year this year that I'm sure I can never top but I'm sure going to try and go down swinging.....literally.

Well, thanks for looking and keep on swinging

Do a distilled water soak and see what else you can get, looks like a lot of junk on that thing yet. Also I gotta look though my recent indians, totally forgot to be checking for the 1877s haha.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds ! :occasion14:----I hope the ihp don't turn out to be a 72

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds ! :occasion14:----I hope the ihp don't turn out to be a 72

'72 has a much smaller date than a '77. The numbers here are large enough so there's only one thing it could be and that's the BIG CHIEF! Plus it has the telltale weak strike on the lower part of the N in One.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Chuck Norris has certainly been kicking ass lately. Gold coin and 1877 Indian Head. Maybe i'll change my name to Bruce Lee and see what happens.....

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find Chuck! Could go a lifetime and would still hope to find either a '77, an 85 V or a 1916-D Merc. Congrats on hitting one of the three classic American digging rarities!

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would take me days to settle down enough to post that find! It's awesome! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Those '77s are a difficult find. Glad you were able to get your coil over that special coin.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG CHUCK ID SAY YOU CLEANED UP.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions