Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently received permission to hunt a 1800's mill site that has been owned by only 2 families since it was built. Due to the fact that the overgrowth was booming due to all our rain in the last mont and finding ticks on me. I decided to hunt the creek. After getting instruction and encouragement from HomeGuardDan I decided Sunday I would give my Deus its first of many to come swimming lessons. After trying HGD creek technique for a while I finally found a Porsche metal car a screw cap or two and lots of iron.About and hour into my hunt I walked up the shoals toward a dam used to divert water downstream to the waterwheel. I was standing in about 6 inches of water and got a solid 91-92 signal. Confused because I was standing on bedrock I reached under the water and could feel a creavass in the rock. After cleaning out some sand and a few small rocks I could insert my index finger inside and could feel something round. Whatever it was it was wedged so tight it took me 20 minutes to wiggle it out. At last I could get two fingers on it to remove it. Pulling it out I looked at it and started shaking. Finally after all these years My Dream Coin. A Bust Half with a 1810 date. I sat there looking at it about 10 mins before I took out my phone and sent Carolina Tom a shaky blurry pic. Thank you for letting me share my story. And thanks again to HomeGuardDan and Coinmam 123. The first pic is how it came out of water.

IMG_20150510_132114207.jpg IMG_20150511_085140120.jpg IMG_20150511_075857.jpg

Upvote 81
OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find only have two capped busties myself a 1835 half dime and an 1825 half dollar so far.Best of luck on this site I'd haunt it for the summer/fall and let us see the rest of the goodies please! HH

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find only have two capped busties myself a 1835 half dime and an 1825 half dollar so far.Best of luck on this site I'd haunt it for the summer/fall and let us see the rest of the goodies please! HH

Thanks swamp Yankee. Haven't been able to pull much out since the Bust last weekend. If you could see this place you'd think that goodies were everywhere but they may be covered by many feet of sand from the creek flooding over the years. I'm not giving up though.

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great find! That goes to show, you never know where you will find great things!

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a great find! That goes to show, you never know where you will find great things!
Thanks Tenspeed It was quite a surprising find especially where it was located. I have no doubt that other things are located at this property just waiting to be discovered

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I never commented on this post!, holy sweet mother of )A#(_$@#!#$!!!!!!
I would've freaked out and had a heart attack if I pulled that badboy

killer coin, congrats, and congrats on a well deserved banner!

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I never commented on this post!, holy sweet mother of )A#(_$@#!#$!!!!!!
I would've freaked out and had a heart attack if I pulled that badboy

killer coin, congrats, and congrats on a well deserved banner!

I did freak out and when I sent Carolina Tom a pic of it about 5 mins later as I was still sitting in the creek he went nuts as well. I tried to share my good fortune with him and invited him down Saturday but neither of us dug anything worthwhile. But we may have struck Gold because a neighboring farmer drove up while we were leaving wanting to know what we were doing at his buddies property. After he was satisfied that we had permission and were OK he started telling us about his property and history. He's supposed to give me a call so Hopefully Tom will come back and hunt some pasture property when farmer gives permission. That is if Tom gets over me dragging him through the hills and creek
And thanks Cjon and let's continue giving OD and CT a hard time

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Though I can't add anything about the counter stamps, I can add that in addition to the ten varieties of this coin I mentioned somewhere above, there also exists at least 7 later die states within a single die pairing--for a total of at least 17 variations of this coin. If you wish to more fully attribute your coin, you can use this page as a guide:
US Capped Bust Half Dollars, Part I 1807-1821 Coin Varieties
Don......

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though I can't add anything about the counter stamps, I can add that in addition to the ten varieties of this coin I mentioned somewhere above, there also exists at least 7 later die states within a single die pairing--for a total of at least 17 variations of this coin. If you wish to more fully attribute your coin, you can use this page as a guide:
US Capped Bust Half Dollars, Part I 1807-1821 Coin Varieties
Don......

Thanks Don

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantastic! any idea if it's a known counterstamp?

Not a known counter stamp so far. I am working on a Sons of Temperance lead although records are scarce.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on getting banner on this coin!, very deserved!

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on getting banner on this coin!, very deserved!

Thanks Chris .It is quite an honor to have my find listed alongside some of the best hunters/researchers on tnet. This area was not densely populated in colonial times as the Northeast so finds are not an everyday occurrence

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
One more thing, I recommend emailing W&E treasures asking if they would like you to write an article on this coin. It would be cool to read about how persistence in the rocky creek pays off with a nice silver coin. If you are interested you could email, "[email protected]"

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One gre thing, I recommend emailing W&E treasures asking if they would like you to write an article on this coin. It would be cool to read about how persistence in the rocky creek pays off with a nice silver coin. If you are interested you could email, "[email protected]"

Coinman people would be surprised at how deep and small these horizontal cracks are as I have found out. Funny thing is about a week after I found the Bust I was down the creek about Β½ a mile and got a solid 95 signal so I started trying to remove small pebbles and sand. About 20 minutes later I finally could feel a round edge and thought to myself Oh man not again. Another 10 mins I finally got it out. The most beautiful gold oil can lid you've ever seen. It still amazes me how things get wedged so deep into these cracks.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Coinman people would be surprised at how deep and small these horizontal cracks are as I have found out. Funny thing is about a week after I found the Bust I was down the creek about Β½ a mile and got a solid 95 signal so I started trying to remove small pebbles and sand. About 20 minutes later I finally could feel a round edge and thought to myself Oh man not again. Another 10 mins I finally got it out. The most beautiful gold oil can lid you've ever seen. It still amazes me how things get wedged so deep into these cracks.

If that were my digging that deep 95 signal in the same creek that I found a capped bust half I would have been thinking for sure that I found another capped bust :p. When I saw that lid I would just about want to cry or chuck it at a tree.

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that were my digging that deep 95 signal in the same creek that I found a capped bust half I would have been thinking for sure that I found another capped bust :p. When I saw that lid I would just about want to cry or chuck it at a tree.

Oh I wanted to pound my head on the shoals since it took so long to remove it and I had visions of coin after I could feel Round for the last 10 minutes. You wouldn't believe how many thoughts can go through your head in short period of time. And I brought my treasure home and sent pic to a couple of people. Alas my wife didn't find it to be treasure and threw it away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread