Found: 1861 Seated Half-Dime, Colonial Relics, + Confederate Civil War Finds

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Vol1266X and I went back to the colonial site we have been hunting. I will not bore you with details on the research that Q did to find this site :sign13:. He will inform you on his post in a couple of long paragraphs. After pouring over historical books :read2: and old maps, he finally narrowed it down to about 50 square miles. I can sum it up in one word as to how we found this site: "dumbluck" :laughing7:. I thought it might be a pretty good day because within the first 15 minutes I found 2 flat buttons. :icon_thumright: I wandered to the top of the hill and found what I thought was another flat button. After a while we took a break and I didn't have my glasses with me and I didn't clean the buttons up until we took the break. I showed Q the flat buttons I had found. One of the cuff buttons I found turned out to be an 1861 half-dime. We hunted for a couple more hours and I found a couple more flat buttons, a knife, and a couple of buckles. I also found a couple of iron relics that have holes in them. I am hoping some of you colonial experts can identify them. The last picture is of a confederate camp that we have hunted before. I found a button back, a buckle, two chewed up .69 round balls, three .58 bullets (one with the top cut off) and a few small round balls. I also found a small triangular relic that I hope someone identifies. Thanks for looking! All help identifying some of these relics will be greatly appreciated.
Dman

Attachments

• DSC01053.JPG
    DSC01053.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 1,138
  • DSC01054.JPG
    DSC01054.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,102
  • DSC01057.JPG
    DSC01057.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,173
  • DSC01059.JPG
    DSC01059.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,070
  • DSC01060.JPG
    DSC01060.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,004
Upvote 0

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anybody who can't tell a 1861 Seated Half Dime from a cuff button needs to stay at home!!! You have more reading glasses than Fred Sanford or Walmart and they are always in the truck, at home, or at your store. That's pitiful. If I did not carry the magnifying glass in my pack, who knows what we would have thrown away.
That's a great find. I can happily say that I have seen you dig two half dimes in the last 3 years. I agree with Modern Miner. That's a BANNER find in my book as it's very likely that a Union Soldier dropped it near the U.S. Camp as we have found dropped .69 cal. 3 ringers there near where you dug the coin. Let's go hunting tomorrow, Quindy.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Great hunt you had Dman, always like seeing those half dimes being found.
Get back out there and find some more.

HB

OP
OP
Dman

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
VOL1266-X said:
Anybody who can't tell a 1861 Seated Half Dime from a cuff button needs to stay at home!!! You have more reading glasses than Fred Sanford or Walmart and they are always in the truck, at home, or at your store. That's pitiful. If I did not carry the magnifying glass in my pack, who knows what we would have thrown away.
That's a great find. I can happily say that I have seen you dig two half dimes in the last 3 years. I agree with Modern Miner. That's a BANNER find in my book as it's very likely that a Union Soldier dropped it near the U.S. Camp as we have found dropped .69 cal. 3 ringers there near where you dug the coin. Let's go hunting tomorrow, Quindy.
You probably saw the union soldier drop the half dime while you were shoeing your mule. ;D

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an incredible half dime!

bulldozer1

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2006
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
DMC 2Ba
The triangle thing, is it brass or iron. If brass it is the part a knapsack hook, hooks to. If iron maybe something off a saddle. Nice finds, maybe the weather in TN will hold and we will get no more snow.

OP
OP
Dman

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
bulldozer1 said:
The triangle thing, is it brass or iron. If brass it is the part a knapsack hook, hooks to. If iron maybe something off a saddle. Nice finds, maybe the weather in TN will hold and we will get no more snow.
The triangle is made out of Iron. Thanks for asking.

pitdiggers

Feb 16, 2009
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Shadow X5, Tesoro Cibola, Minelab XTerra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relics DMan! I must have missed this post. What is that shield looking piece?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread