Found 1971-S IKE DDR-005!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Picked up 9 1971-S PF IKE's today for $45 (~2% under spot). Went through them with the microscope looking for varieties today and found a 1971-S DDR-005 (FS-S1-1971S-801)! Super stoked about it as it's a very cool looking coin. Unfortunately the plastic pack has some heat damage so I'll need to figure out have to store it long term. See the pic's below. Any thoughts on the coin are appreciated. I don't know much about it and will be researching it from here. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4304.JPG
    IMG_4304.JPG
    984.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4306.JPG
    IMG_4306.JPG
    927.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_4305.JPG
    IMG_4305.JPG
    831 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
From what I can tell so far they're not very common. Can't find one for sale or sold on eBay. Contacted the IKE group and another individual, waiting for feedback. Will update if I find out anything. Thanks for looking.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
From what I can tell so far they're not very common. Can't find one for sale or sold on eBay. Contacted the IKE group and another individual, waiting for feedback. Will update if I find out anything. Thanks for looking.

I Like Ike, too. Smart buy on the Ikes. So many dealers and collectors want to unload them as they feel they have no collector value. Some have the thinking that they are only 40% silver so if they have the funds why not buy 90%'ers. But as you have learned, there is a niche segment of collectors that re-discovered Ikes. Tiny mintages, techniques in minting causing numerous varieties, a large heavy coin, a well-respected president, what's not to like about Ike(s)? The Ike Group is the best and hopefully, you get some answers on your coin's value.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Frank / Diver - appreciate the feedback. I got registered at the IKE group and posted it this morning, we'll see what they come back with. I don't know if the fact I can't find a sale of the coin is encouraging because it's so rare and valuable that they never move or discouraging because they're so common that no one even bothers to attribute them. We'll see. Again, appreciate the input.

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I'm seeing on eBay they sell for $200-6000. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1502036114.092306.jpg

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Frank / Diver - appreciate the feedback. I got registered at the IKE group and posted it this morning, we'll see what they come back with. I don't know if the fact I can't find a sale of the coin is encouraging because it's so rare and valuable that they never move or discouraging because they're so common that no one even bothers to attribute them. We'll see. Again, appreciate the input.

By the way, what scope are you using to take the photos?

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
diver - thanks for the research. I have a 20x-40x microscope that I just put a camera up to the lens and snap away. Sometimes some glare but usually OK.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

According to Coneca's Variety Master Listing (Variety Vista) records, the Variety has a Pop (population) of only 3 which may or may not be accurate. They have a tendency of not updating the records as often as one would hope. If that number is correct, then your' coin is likely worth a lot of chump change, smackeroos, clams, bread, dough, etc., whatever you want to call the wad of money you might get for the coin.

Eisenhower Dollar Doubled Dies

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
According to Coneca's Variety Master Listing (Variety Vista) records, the Variety only has a Pop (population) of 3 which may or may not be accurate. They have a tendency of not updating the records as often as one would hope. If that number is correct, then your' coin is likely worth a lot of chump change, smackeroos, clams, bread, dough, etc., whatever you want to call the wad of money you might get for the coin.

Eisenhower Dollar Doubled Dies

Frank
Thanks again Frank. The recommendation from the IKE group folks is to possibly conserve it and then send it to PCGS for attribution and grading. Still have never sent a coin in but, while I still haven't seen a value, I'm starting to get the impression this one might be worth it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks again Frank. The recommendation from the IKE group folks is to possibly conserve it and then send it to PCGS for attribution and grading. Still have never sent a coin in but, while I still haven't seen a value, I'm starting to get the impression this one might be worth it.

Conserve it! Why would it need to be conserved? Is there something that we can't see that is not shown in the pics you posted? If so, PM me and we will converse on how to proceed.

Frank

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Conserve it! Why would it need to be conserved? Is there something that we can't see that is not shown in the pics you posted? If so, PM me and we will converse on how to proceed.

Frank
I don't think the coin needs conservation, I think it was more of a general 'if necessary' because many of the PF IKE's cloud or spot. 5-6 of the 9 I bought has surface issues. This one looks great to me. I'll post front and back pics tonight. Thanks.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I don't think the coin needs conservation, I think it was more of a general 'if necessary' because many of the PF IKE's cloud or spot. 5-6 of the 9 I bought has surface issues. This one looks great to me. I'll post front and back pics tonight. Thanks.

frank - here are some overall pics of the coin. The package is damaged and may lead to toning or clouding eventually.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4309.JPG
    IMG_4309.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4312.JPG
    IMG_4312.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_4310.JPG
    IMG_4310.JPG
    1,014.1 KB · Views: 120

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
You are right that it doesn't need conserving. The Brown Pack Ikes are prone to clouding as you mentioned, and that is due to contaminants interacting with the surface of the coin due to improper sealing of the case. The packaging of the Brown Pack Ikes is some of the bulkiest and ugliest packaging the Mint has come up with. When it comes to the Brown Pack Ikes, I always crack them out of the cases. After looking for varieties, then I just store them in tubes. When buying them at or below melt, nobody will care on the resale end if it has a faux wood grain box/sleave and acrylic holder.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
The consensus this far is that it is probably in the high hundreds of dollars and maybe into the low thousands. Pretty cool for a $5 buy. I now need to figure out how to get it graded and then I'll really figure out what it's worth : ).

The folks at the IKEGroup have been exceptionally helpful. Great place for any IKE questions.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The consensus this far is that it is probably in the high hundreds of dollars and maybe into the low thousands. Pretty cool for a $5 buy. I now need to figure out how to get it graded and then I'll really figure out what it's worth : ).

The folks at the IKEGroup have been exceptionally helpful. Great place for any IKE questions.

Thanks.

Have you messaged Andy at the Ike Group? As the site admin, you can trust him to submit it on your behalf.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Andy has been super helpful. Seems to be a great guy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
So I'm sending the coin to one of the guys from the IKE group, he'll conserve it if/as needed and then submit to PCGS for attribution and grading. I'll update this thread when it comes back on grade and value. Thanks.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
So I'm sending the coin to one of the guys from the IKE group, he'll conserve it if/as needed and then submit to PCGS for attribution and grading. I'll update this thread when it comes back on grade and value. Thanks.

I should also say I'm all kinds of nervous after mailing it out and dropping off 6 other coins at the LCS to be sent to NGC. I've never done any of this before and it seems heavily dependent on the trust factor. I'm going to be a little puckered up the next couple of months until this is all over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread