found 2 axe heads - question on age though

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Hey all,

Haven't posted in this section I think but I was enjoying the wonderful weather we have been having in the northeast and was out detecting my ATV trails as usual. Well I keep staying in a certain area and came up with two axe heads that were pretty much just covered with rocks and leaves. This area has produced some 1800's coins for me in the past and there is a bunch of broken shards of pottery and cooking pans and stuff. This area dates back to at least 1875 with 2 houses in the area.
The question I have is, how can I tell how old these axe heads are? I will post pics of them obviously but was looking for a certain way to tell by looking at them. SOmeone suggested to me that the hole where the handle went through is an indicator, but not sure. Any suggestions? They are not nice and clean but they are not rusted or pitted either.

Thanks

Funkman

T

TreasureTales

Search the internet for old tool collectors and antique tool dealers. There you can see side-by-side photos of axeheads (as well as other old tools) for comparison. Weight, shape, handle holes, model numbers, brand names, all put together can give you an idea of age, but you have to be familiar with the differences first. So check out the old tool dealer websites and become familiar with them. Old axes are things I really enjoy. They were used by a real guy in the real world for real reasons...nothing phoney about an axehead!!!

Here's one website I like a lot: Rose Antique Tools www.roseantiquetools.com

Can you post pix of your axeheads?

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Thanks TreasureTales. Here is the pics of the axe heads.

Attachments

• P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 508
  • P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 521
T

TreasureTales

The bottom one looks like a shingling hatchet, notice the notch in the bottom for pulling up roofing nails.

Any brand names or model numbers on them? Just by looking at these pix, I'm thinking they aren't particularly old. But any tool is a keeper!

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
TreasureTales,

sorry I did not reply back soon on this. The axeheads do not have any identifying marks on them. Too much oxidation or rust to see anything. I also found the remains of a machete in the area that has seen some better days. Handle to that is completly gone, just metal left.

Now that is getting me to wonder something. This area that I have found these items in I have found melted glass and melted metal chunks (who knows what they were). I have found an old pocketknife and an old tin or other flimsy metal utensil knife (for eating or buttering bread). these items all did not have the wooden or whatever material handle that would have been on them. COuld possibly be that I have found the area where they burned the trash? When digging some items out of the ground I have noticed the soil looks like there is a greyish ash in it also. Only in some areas and not others.

Thanks again,

Funkman

T

TreasureTales

The area could be a burned trash site or maybe a wildfire went through the area. Do any of the trees look as if their trunks have been scorched? If not, then you may well have found a trash site.

From the photo, the tools don't look bad. So I'm wondering why anyone would intentionally throw them in the trash and then burn them. It's one of those mysteries about treasure hunting that always makes me wonder what the heck was going on. The mysteries are part of the fun for me!!!

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
You will see a seam where the axe was folded over when it was made for an old axe head. The newer ones are bulkier and they don't fold the iron to make them.

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
Funkman, I found one identical to your bottom one last night. It's a little more rusted and the corner of the blade is broken off. I found it in the woods where a 1904 plat map showed a house. A 1937 plat map of the area no longer showed the house. I found mine in a spot where apparently they buried their trash so I'm pretty sure it dates from when the house was there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread