Found 2 days Ago - Bronze Medallion ,,Its huge

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro , Garrett Pro Pointer , Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outside measurement of the medallion is a hair over 3/16 .. an its 51mm . I know some about the medallion. but i have no clue whats its worth, any help be great.. Found 11'' deep in Wise, VA.. Im assuming its bronze, i think there may have been 1 made that was copper.. but no real way to check that ,that i know of

Attachments

• IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg
    537.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAG0091.jpg
    IMAG0091.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 0

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find.

It's probably bronze because I would imagine copper would take on a greenish hue after it sat in the ground a while unless it was coated with something that would protect it from tarnishing. But that's just a guess due to other old copper I've seen get tarnished outdoors.

What do you know about the medallion? Looks very interesting.

OP
OP
eclipsegt3

eclipsegt3

Apr 30, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro , Garrett Pro Pointer , Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovett Tokens & Medals

That site there has all the info about this medallion. An it did have alot of green tarnish on it when i found it. ive got most of it off. .. well, Bronze is.. Copper an tin aint it.

The number of medals struck from the die, which was defaced on the 22nd day of July, 1886, is as follows: Ten gold medals; eight silver medals; thirtysix in bronze, gilded with a Florentine finish; thirteen hundred in bronze, and eleven thousand in white metal. The medals thus described were one-eighth of an inch in thickness.
A few, three-sixteenths of an inch in thickness, were issued as follows: one in copper, three in bronze and thirty-six in bronze struck up in gold."

An the outside measurement of mine is a hair over 3/16 of an inch.. So leaves me wondering.. is it one of the 3 produced that size... or should u measure from the thinnest spot.,.? idk

Last edited:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find, congrats. It is in great condition. Subterranean

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread